Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opening Day!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by blazindorito, Oct 10, 2006.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Well this weekend will be opening day for Southern California's D-11, D-13, D-15. Will be trying my luck again. I saw a really nice buck on the last day of last year that I will be putting the stalk on. Hope it's still there. If not there are always bucks around that area. I will also be wearing bright blaze orange because too many damn people hunt up there and I don't want to get shot. I know it's crazy but this year 2 people have been killed already. One was an acccident (supposedly) the other well I don't know. Will post pictures of this weekends bucks.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I do not handle anxiety well but I have breathed life into a small motorhome that will be base for me and 2 buddies.I am so chomping at the bit....4 more daze...

3. blazindorito

I'll be camping in Chilao. Just heard that it will probably rain Friday and Saturday. I don't like the rain. Being cold and wet is just not my thing. Everything get's all muddy and slippery. This is just an accident waiting to happen, but oh well. Love to Hunt so I'll be out there no matter what. Good Luck chevyfumes

Mofugly, it's weird not having you chime in for this hunt season. I hope all is well with you.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

PRAY FOR RAIN!!!! I love when it rains during deer season. The blacktails are weird in that they'll come out in the rain, and once the sun pokes through the clouds, they REALLY come out of the woodwork. ust make sure yer scope is covered and keep the rain out of the barrel, finger cots work great for this. My season has ended, I only shot the one buck, never did see a really good one this year. But, like I said, when it rains, I go hunting. Besides the more trouble it is to harvest a buck, the better the memories are. You might spend a few miserable hours dragging a buck through sloppy mud, soaked to the bone, but, eventually you'll have that buck hanging. Once you're back in a sheltered spot with some dry clothes on, no matter how big or small the rack is, you'll remember that hunt forever, and the meat will be twice as sweet.

I'm still up for any deer hides anyone wants to send me. I didn't get as many as I was hoping this year, not enough bucks were taken. I'm kinda bummed that I might have to wait until next season to start tanning hides again. Good luck to all you lucky mofo's who are still hunting, or getting ready for upcoming seasons.

5. blazindorito

Whatever buck hides I get I will surely send your way. We always toss them i the trash. There"s 5 of us going so hopefully we'll get a couple. Yeah I know they com eout but just the idea of sitting there freezing my a** off doesn't really make it fun for me. I don't know how they do it in those mid-western and eastern states where they hunt in the snow.

6. blazindorito

I reloaded some bullets last night. Made some 300 win mag for this weekend. I know this gun is overkill for the anorexic deer we have but at 2650fps it doesn't damage the meet but drops them in there track. The bullet enters and exits. I use Ballistic Silvertip 180 grain. I will post pictures when I get home. I'm excited about this weekends hunt. :D

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Leavin tomorrow and it's been dry and 70+, sucks, I walked out back yesterday to try and catch a coyote runnin across the property and all I got was crunch crunch crunch...:rolleyes: Yes lots of rain please. Anyway good luck guys and post pics....;)

8. blazindorito

BAD NEWS, D-13 IS CLOSED. That means that D-11 and D-15 will be swampped with Elmer Fudd's. Lots of hunters. Everyone please wear Blaze Orange tomorrow. I know you would rather wear Camo but with that many idiots out there I don't want someone getting shot. Everyone be careful out there and enjoy. GOOD LUCK TO ALL. Share pictures on Monday.

I will be willing to share my camp with someone if they can't find a place to camp. I am at Chilao campground #24 and #25. First one on the left when you drive in. Went late last night and set up camp. Paid for both camps. Drove back after midnite. Will be up there today before 4pm.

9. blazindorito

One of our hunting buddies got a medium size 2 x 2 but we didn't get any meat. He has been hunting with us for 6 years. Everytime we get a buck we share with him. He decided since he killed the buck he wasn't going to share. I pulled the deer out for him from the bottom of a canyon and then I had to go back and pull him out. He was recently operated from his neck nerves area. When we got to the truck I loaded the buck for him onto his truck and he said "i'll give you a piece of the leg" and took off. I was F***en pissed. I carried that deer out on my back from the bottom of the canyon to his truck by myself. It was about 4 miles long. Then on top of that I pulled him out of the mountain with him tied to my belt. I would walk up 4 steps and pull him up...all the way up the mountain. Ohhhh well next time I'll leave his A** there. Anyways saw a really nice 3 x 3 but couldn't get a clean shot. HE was humping like a rabbit.

10. blazindorito

Went into a new place that we haven't hunted in years. Found deer all over the place. There must have been like 10-15 deer in there. It is a mountain in shape of a bowl. As we walked in we saw 2 deer running up the hill. The first one was a doe but the second one was a really big 3x3. Didn't get to shoot because it ran into the brush and over the mountain. As we sat there praying and hoping that it would come back I spot a really nice long tine 3x3 or 4x4 walking and eating slowly about 8oo yards away to our left. I tell my cousin to wait so we can do a stalk and he gets all panicky and probable got buck fever and starts shooting at it. I got pissed and kicked his a**. I yelled at him for a while and left him there. I told him to wait and not follow me. I went to search for the buck to see if he had hit it but I knew he didn't. When I got there I tracked the buck for about a mile and never saw blood or anything. I was hoping to come up on it on every ridge I went over, but no luck. My uncle got a 120lb 2x2, big tine about 19" wide. I have no pictures since I don't have a digi camera any more.

when my cousin got up to help his dad carry the buck he slipped on the loose sand and broke his ankle. Seperated it and now is having surgery at 5 o'clock.

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Karma's a beyoch! I'm glad you're still having fun deer hunting. Irresponsible hunters piss me off too.