Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opening spring clamps for articulation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Nov 15, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK guys, I know some of you have done this, by opening the spring clamps, do you get more axle wrap under acceleration? Does anyone know how much more flex you might get by doing this, is it even worth it for just a little more flex.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I opened up my front clamps to almost totally open and the rear springs i took the bolt out completely.

In the rear I got a lot more flex, but it really flexes the main leaf and Sometimes I am suprized it doesn't crack.
    On the front it works really well also.

Not sure how much I gained by this, I haven't been able to get on the forklift in a while.

I would like to get some 9012's soon and then test it.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Steve,

I did this on mine and gained a couple more inches. I didn't notice any difference in axle wrap. I just recently closed the clamps on the front, because I was tapping out the front brake lines. A little to much droop.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey David,

I am running the +11" ext line from Superlift, which ones are you running?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I have the Procomp. I am going to put limiting straps on front, because the shocks are not stopping the droop. It is drooping more than I expected.

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I read in a mag recentlly that it is a good way to break your springs. I don't know from experiance, but that's what I read. I'll try to find the artical tonight at the jobby-job. I'm going to stay awake just for you!!!

blazen91

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I jusr read the same thing last night. Said that it lets the springs flex too much in one direction and then flex too much in the opposite direction thus making the springs week at the center point of the bend. Sorta like bending a coat hanger back and forth till it breaks.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Steve, I'm sorry it took me so long to look this up. I read in Dec.2000 4-wheel & off road, pg. 38 under Springs, why not to remove or loosen the spring clamp.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, the day I bought my Jimmy I noticed that 2 springs were broken in the rear end, the rear really sagged. So I replaced the broken leaves (1 on the drivers side and 2 on the pass side), and it still sat low in the back. I removed the u bolts again and installed 2 extra leaves in each side. Now it sits a touch high in the back (unloaded). Perfect. The point is that I had to remove the clamps to get the new leaves in, and Ive ran them open ever since. When I look at the rear end under accelleration, it wraps a bit, but I dont think having the clamps would stop it at all. I have never broken a rear leaf, but it sure droops down when I use the Hilift to raise the truck! The springs dont flex downward tho due to the extra leaves so I dont know how the negative flex affects them.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

According to the artical , it's the fexing from possitive to negitive arch over and over again. It's not not just dropping, it's both dropping and compressing. I don't know from experiance, just from what I've read.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

11. My budy opened the spring clamps on his j$$p about a year ago and the main front leaf broke on him two weeks ago!He drives it to work every day also,it mite be alright on a trail only rig but an every day driver I would'nt do.I've seen what it can do 200 miles from home!LOL Just my $.02 though.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!