Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opening the tailgate ????...FIXED!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big pappa b, May 30, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Is there a trick to this or could nine be screwed up? It's an 80 K5. The rear glass rolls down. I have never had the tailgate down since I bought it...been under the hood replacing the motor. Anyway, I thought maybe the key would unlock it but when I turn the key the only result I can see is that the windows doesnt roll up or down. When I grap the handle inside I can fell some tension and I see the catches on the side moving a little (very little) but not enough to open the tailgate. Am I missing a trick or what?

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Re: Opening the tailgate ????

there is a catch in the tailgate to keep you from opening it when the window is up, and a cutout switch on the latch to keep you from rolling the window up when the tailgate is down. get in the back and take off the access panel and see if you can open it manually by pulling the rods that got from the handle to the latches inward.

3. rick88blaze

also, if the window rolls up and down with the switch on the dash, but not with the key in the tailgate, then check the wires on it inside the tailgate, or the switch might be bad. mine was when bought it. the dealer has them for like $40 or $50 with a new set of keys.

4. big pappa b

I'll try that in the morning when I get off work.

thanks

5. big pappa b

My tailgate window is MANUAL ONLY!!! window crank all the way

6. rick88blaze

if it won't roll up or down at all with the crank, then your regulator is probably screwed. i do believe that it still has a manual cutout to keep you from opening the tailgate when the window is up. basically, when the window goes up, it will disengage the handle on the inside. i ended up taking all of that crap out when i put my new tailgate on. so now i can open my tailgate no matter what position the window is in, and i can roll it up or down with the tailgate open. all of those parts were too rusted to put back in. i think i'm smart enough not to roll the window up when the tailgate's down anyway. or to try to open it when the window is up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. big pappa b

So we are both on the same page, my Blazer never had a regulator for the rear window because it was strictly a manually operated window...it was never electric

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

it still has a regulator as a manual window.
    push in on the tail gate as you pull the inside handle. might just be under tension. im sure you already tried that though. if that didnt work, open the panel inside the cab. use lots of WD-40 for this. the screws are normaly tight as hell. look inside for worn parts and see if it is all working right. i never paid atention to the inside of my gate because i gave it to a friend on here. and now have a truck gate.
    Grant

9. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

My 88 was the same way when I bought it. I learned that with a slightly heavy handed tap/push with my hand in a upward motion usually does the trick and knocks it free. Take off the inner panel and see what the connecting rods are doing when you lift up on the handle. You might just need to get in there and spray some white grease on the moving parts if they're not broken.

10. big pappa b

After taking off the inner panel and seeing no real problem I started pushing and pulling with a little more effort than before and it came open. Figured while it was open I would spray everything down with a nice coat of spray on lithium grease. All better now..

Thanks for all the input

BPB