Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

operating temperatures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by G.M.H, Apr 15, 2003.

1. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

How hot can a small block chevy run continuously without causing undue wear or damage? How hot can it get intermitently?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My 85 runs about 185-195 on the street, and about 205-210ish on the highway (2200-2800rpm). I have never had a problem with it. It used to run a consistent 205-215 all the time in Phoenix before I changed my tstat awhile back.

3. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

Thanks. Mine has gotten up to 220. I have a mechanical gauge with the sender in the head, so this should be an accurate reading.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mine consistently runs between 195 and 205 with variable RPMs. I always thought it was overheating, guess I was wrong.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

My current engine (only 28k miles) has a 195 t-stat and it runs 195 degrees all the time in town, on the freeway, up hills, down hills, towing, warm weather, cold weather, ect.

I've been running 195's on small blocks for years on blocks that run over 100k miles and never had a problem. You just need to make sure that you have enough radiator to keep the temp from going any higher.

Something to keep in mind, these were all non-emissions engines and they ran much better at higher temps. A computer controlled engine may or may not run better with a higher temp t-stat since engine temp is one of the inputs to the computer. In that case I would run the recommended t-stat.

The higher temp is nice when it's cold outside, the heater ROCKS at 195 !!

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine usually stays in the 160 range but in the summer(100 degree air temps) it gets to 200 in traffic...

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was told that when temps hit 240 is when seals start wearing and poop starts happening...
    I would keep an eye on it and try and get it down some. What 'stat you running?

8. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

I am running a 195 under the assumption that it slows the flow, thus allowing the rad to dump more heat. From a previous search, I now doubt that logic. I am running a smaller (surface area) high efficency 3-row rad due to space considerations. I have been considering buying a 4-row,or an aluminum rad to drop the 220 highway temps.Temps outside now are pretty cool, so summer temps may bring trouble.

9. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

I am running a 195 under the assumption that it slows the flow, thus allowing the rad to dump more heat. From a previous search, I now doubt that logic. I am running a smaller (surface area) high efficency 3-row rad due to space considerations. I have been considering buying a 4-row,or an aluminum rad to drop the 220 highway temps.Temps outside now are pretty cool, so summer temps may bring trouble.The last thing I want to do is toast my new engine.