Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinion for future

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First off, I don't need to rebuild my motor yet, but just want some opinions for when that times comes. I'm trying to talk a guy into selling me a 454, but if he won't, then it's a mouse for me. Okay, my question is: Would you rebuild a 400 small block, or find a 350 and build a 383 stroker out of it ??? I've spun bearings in 400 sbc's befor, so I'm kinda leary of it. So if I stay mouse, 400 or 383 ???? This is a daily driver aswell as a trail rig. Does see interstate speeds.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

400. No substitute for cubic inches. No REplacement for DISplacement. Better yet, stroke a 400. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Fat blocks are nice, but can be pretty cost prohibitive and heavy. Of course, those are just my rationalizations since I don't have one. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Honestly, and i am sure that no one will agree with me. But i think that a warmed over stock motor is just fine. As far as H.O rebuilds, I am not completely sold on the reliabilty issue. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I've had issues with hot engines in street cars and would not want to have those issues out on a trail. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And more power ALWAYS translates into more parts breakage(unless you are very easy onthe skinny pedal).

Just my .02 take it for what its worth

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I agree, but a larger CI motor does not necessarily dictate the use of a lot of 'hi-po' parts. The primary things I lean towards are aftermarket rotating assemblies and cylinder heads. I like purchasing prebalanced new components for the bottom end, and the lack of quality core cylinder heads and the cost of a good rebuild on the ones I find make it a better idea to buy new cylinder heads. The vortecs can be had for 400 bucks a pair, and good Darts can be had for under a grand. I agree with you when it comes to things like huge cams, roller rocker arms, complicated ignitions, and picky carbs though.

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what you are talking about. As far as CI's you are right but when most people start talking 383's and 406's there talking 400 plus HP. That starts to mean big heads and big cams. Those are the things I don't trust.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would raise the compression, like to 9.5 to 1 , and for a cam, I'd probley go with a Comp Cams X-tream 4X4 cam, but not a big one. The goal is for more low end torque not HP. I would also upgrade the oiling system with a larger pan and a high volume oil pump. Weiend makes a good intake manifold, I like the Stelth. But I wouldn't be building a high rpm hot rod motor, so I think it could be relibale. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I had a 400 in my 79 PU. I loved it. It ran a little on the warm side when I got stuck in traffic. I think as far building cheap, I would run a 350. The only problem I have with the 400 is that they only have a 2 bolt main.

What I would like to get a hold of for my K5 is an industrial 350. Like they put in big moving trucks. I know the 20 and 24 foot Penske used to have a 350 motor in it. I do not know if that is still the case.

Just some thoughts.

8. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

400's came in 2 bolt and 4 bolt varities. For what he is talking about doing a 2 bolt would be fine. 2 bolts are actually more desirable in 400's because the outer bolt in a 4 bolt set up gets very close to the cylinder wall and they are pronbe to cracking there under high loads(race applications). The racers get a 2 bolt 400 and put splayed 4 bolt caps into em.

Build it with some nice internals(dont use the stumpy 400 rods) and some nice darts or world sportsmans.

With more cubic inches you get more power with less trouble. What does that mean? you dont have to to run those big cams and go fast widgets to make the same power as a smaller displacement motor. Less rpm and you will make power at a lower rpm. Something the ricers dont understand....yes you can get 400 HP outa a non asisted(no blower/no NO2)honda but you can run a 400HP BBC on the street and get 100K outa it and it will be tame enough for your grandma.

Torque is king and you only get lowend torque with power aders or cubic inches.