Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinion needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Alaska K-5, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

Here is the deal, I'm getting ready to swap out my front end and tranny/tcase. My truck(74k20) currently has a D44 and 700r4/208, I have a line on D60 already. Also can get a SM465/205 from the same guy, I recently just found a guy parting out his truck who has a 400/205 for sale for $500...tranny has had some work done to it as well(beefing up) Is there anyway that using one of the combos with the D60 with allow me to use my drive shafts I have now?...I'm more concerned with the front shaft... Anyone have any opinions on what tranny they like better? I'm leaning towards the 465 myself, the truck does see some highway miles back and forth to work(10 miles each way) but I'm really more worried about trail performance as I'm looking to get a beater car for DD by this winter. I still have a few weeks to decide what to do, I'm in the desert right now and won't be returning for a couple more weeks but would like to have this all lined up for when I return. Thanks a bunch, Ryan

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Automatic = not two-footing on steep hills. If I'm on a 50 degree incline, I'd hate to start from stop with a manual.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ahh, it's not that bad. Had a sm465 in the 72 and did alot of city driving with pleanty of hills.