Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinion on 3/4 ton axles and 36" tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Opinion on 3/4 ton axles and 36\" tires

I guess I'll get the 15X10 rims with 3.5" back spacing. I don't hammer on the go pedal much anymore. Do you think the D44 can handle 36" tires, or should I bite the bullet and buy a D60. Money has been tight lately.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Opinion on 3/4 ton axles and 36\" tires

D44 will be fine. You can buy 2 or 3 for the price of a D60...I'd go for the D44.

3. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

i was running 15/10 wagon wheels 4.25 backspacing and had 36/14.5/15 on front and rear 10bolts on my 89 blazer... i ran that truck into the ground and only went through a few u joints... (a tree finished off the truck.)

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree stay with the 44. I run 37's on my 10b..........I know it's prolly a matter of time with my driving style, but a 60 just isn't in my budget right now. plus I have a couple sets of shafts for spares, and the junkyard is full of them.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've never broken anything with my front 10B and 35x16 boggers but I don't beat on it real hard and I don't go out every weekend anymore either.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It realy depends. You have to keep in mind big GM trucks are heavy.

Most people have good luck with 35's, and then you think, "Oh 1" taller can't hurt".

Thing is those groundhawgs or swampers you are running are a lot more heavy and are a bigger actual size than a standard radial 35" tire. They also have a lot more traction. Add all that together and it really is a big step up.

Now for personal experience. I broke a D44 stub shaft with swampers that actually measured 36" x 12" x 16". It was patheric. I had the rear in the air on the 14BFF lip (unlocked, spun the aired tire). So I go moderate throttle, the fronts are slowly churning up relatively soft dirt up front. All of a sudden, the stub shaft goes.

Now I don't know about you, but I do know you know SD terrain. Do you really want to be out in the middle of a trail sitting on a pile of mud tearing off a 100 pound tire and wheel to get to a u joint that's going to be a pain in the ass to get out? What if you take out more than a joint or a shaft? I was luck to be able to drive off with my break. I haven't torn an axle apart all the way yet, so I wouldn't have been able to fix it within the day, I would have had to leave my truck on top of a rock on a fire road for a week.

In the end, I spent a chunk of money on a nice set of matched one tons and proper steering, but I'm happy. I'm running the same 38x13x16 and I HIGHLY doubt I'm breaking anything, even with the 30 spline stubs.

A D60 can be argued in the figurative, but as for me, personally, you can't beat the peace of mind it brings, even not wheeling. You never really worry about upgrading to CTM's or alloy shafts. You never consider tubing the whole thing out just to save weight to make the D44 live. Of course you may do these things with the 60 when you get extreme, but for now, you can wonk the thing all over and not fear any major breakage axle wise. If you have a decent tranny set up and a reliable motor, you're good to go.

Anyway I digress

Run the D44 untill you break it, or untill you break it so much it becomes a pain in the ass. Be easy on it and save for a D60

On a side note, I've been meaning to mention, a few years ago people were worried all the D60's would be snatched up and lost forever. Albeit expensive, you can now build your own D60 out of parts ordered from various shops. Crane knuckles and Currie (I think) centersections. Most people replace all the internals anwyay.

Anywho take it for what you will

7. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

Money has been tight lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like the k-30 deal fell through, bummer, i hear ya
    on the tight money thing, theres always someday for ya,
    just keep a hopeful attitude and youll get what you want
    eventually, thats my plan, /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Replace the u-joints with new spicers, to quote Exacutioner "Know and understand ball-joint preload", and don't lock it (I wouldn't even put in a LSD unless you got if for free). I would carry a spare set of ball joints and a spindle with just incase...but I have always been able to drive home on mine (asside from the wheel bearing that went out because there was too much water in the hub...but that was my fault).

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Money has been tight lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like the k-30 deal fell through, bummer, i hear ya
    on the tight money thing, theres always someday for ya,
    just keep a hopeful attitude and youll get what you want
    eventually, thats my plan, /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Ol'boy never got back with me. I've emailed him sevreal times, but no more contact. Oh well, no biggie I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

I'm currently running 3/4ton axles and 36s. Best mod for the money yet. Betty (my blazer) has never been happier./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i know a guy who HAMMERS on his suburban and has an 8lug D44 up front whith 36" tires and he hasnt had any problems.

12. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

What makes a 1/2 ton Dana 44 or a 10 bolt 3/4 ton? A bigger wheel bearing and 8 lugs??? Do they have bigger axles, gears, or center section? I always think of those as 1/2 axles and I see people who run them call them 3/4 ton if they have a 14 bolt rear.

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The only thing that makes a 1/2 ton D44 or 10 bolt a 3/4 ton is the 8 lug hubs and larger rotors.

Carrier, ball-joints, axleshafts, u-joints, locking hubs...all the same. So, if you have a 1/2 ton front axle, you can make it "3/4 ton" by swapping out parts from the knuckle-out (ie, backing plate, rotor, hub).

14. rjfguitar

Like heavy said...they are the same out to the spindles basically, just the hub and rotor being different. I always say I have a 3/4 ton 10B just because it came out of a 3/4 suburban but I know it isn't any stronger than my old 6 lug 10B. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm going to run 37's on a 10bolt front! I can build a few of them for the price of a stock, crappy D60 that need rebuilt. I'm not going to be doing rock crawls and stuff I just wheel around for shits and giggles and run over stuff. If I ever step up to 40's I'd think about a D60 but I dont have money for a 60 or 40's /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

RUN WHAT CHA GOT! When ya got it and enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Ya, what he said /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    or look for a factory 12 Bolt Front End ! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    And if you'r lucky, maybe look into a Spicer(Dana) factory 10 Bolt front end /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

17. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

or look for a factory 12 Bolt Front End !

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my cousin has one of those in his S10 cab truck, it's sweet! The strength of a Dana 60 with the weight of a 10 bolt. He told me when he upgrades to Rockwells I can have it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. rjfguitar

Yeah, look for one of those FRONT corp. 12bolts...They are rare but keep looking and looking...and looking....bet you never find one though. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

And a spicer (Dana) 10 bolt front end is a dana 44 which is no stronger than a corp. 10 bolt front...errr...uhh...a 12b front. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My Dana 10 bolt front is a model 60 which is just a little stronger than the GM 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never broken anything with my front 10B and 35x16 boggers but I don't beat on it real hard and I don't go out every weekend anymore either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have 20 year old u joints in yours too, don't you?

That said, with 36s, and open, I think a D44 would survive almost indefinitely if it always had good joints in it. I could be wrong, and it obviously depends on how you drive.

I can tell ya that a 297x doesn't like 38.5x16s very much though.