Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinion on 5/16' Grade 70 chain

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Boss, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Opinion on 5/16\' Grade 70 chain

Do yall think a 5/16" grade 70 chain on each axle is strong enough to hold down our rigs?
    The working load limit is 4700lbs.
    I will also strap down the frame on four corners with 12000lbs webbing straps as well. I think this setup will be ok, but wanted to know your opinions.

I know 3/8" chain is the way to go, but a local joint wants $50 for a 20' set and online deals are good, but shipping cost are too high on them.

I just got a harborfreight catalog and saw a 20' set on 5/16" chains are on sale for $20, that's why I'm asking.
    Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Boss

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: Opinion on 5/16\' Grade 70 chain

I wouldn't trust anything that heavy to that light of a chain, the smallest I ever used in 9 years of hauling was 3/8"

I know other guys will do it, but not me just don't trust it. The shock load isn't high enough, and no matter how tight you strap it down there will still be some serious shock loads on the chains.

I think of it like this; I can save a couple bucks on cheaper chain, and possibly loose my rig while towing and pay a lot more to fix it and anything else involved, or I can spend a few (or several) extra bucks now for the extra margin of safety.

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

So you are using 4, 12,000 lb straps plus the chains? If that's the case, I think it will be be fine. If the chains were the only thing used to strap it down then I would say go with at least 3/8". I've been using this exact setup for several years now. The chain is just a little "insurance" in case of an emergency or a strap breaking.

BIGJ

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks for the advice guys.

BigJ,
    Yes, I will also be using 4 12K lbs straps on each corner of the frame to strap the truck down in addition to the chains. I feel that it should be sufficient with the 5/16" chains, but... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Anyhow, thanks again and keep em coming...

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

You could use the straps and run one 3/8" chain in the back. Or you could probably get away with splitting the 20' chain into two 10' sections to go over each axle with a ratcheting binder.

One guy in our club uses two short chains cut to fit exactly over the axle in the front and then he uses a big chain in the rear to "tighten" the whole thing. It works pretty well for his blazer. No bouncing around or anything.

BIGJ

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'm using 5/16" alloy chain that is rated higher than my 3/8 load binding chain. Tractor supply(TSC) has anodized 3/8" tie down chain in 16' length with two hooks at a decent price, forget what I paid for mine.

I cut my 5/16 chain into 4 nine foot sections. Works great on my 18' trailer with 4 large D-rings on the deck. Have hauled S-blazers too crewcabs.