Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinion on best setup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what is the best setup for an 85 blazer with a 305, with a 4'' lift and 3'' body (coming).... for 35'' tires (have 33''s now)... what transmission, transfer case and gears are the best? i have a 700r4, np208 and only 10 bolts right now... not sure on the gears it came with yet, its a silverado edition if that changes anything

thanks

85 k5 blazer, 305 w/ edelbrock carb, flowmaster dual exhaust, 4'' superlift springs, rs5000's, 33'' tires

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Bross,

Welcome to CK5! [​IMG]

All your questions can be answered here......but take a few moments to do some "keyword searches" on the topics that interest you. I guarantee that people here have discussed them at length already.

The other thing to do is check the "Technical Articles" area.....they have some good info there on axles, wheel & tire combinations, basic upgrade stuff, etc. It's all good information, and it will help you come up with even MORE questions I'm sure [​IMG]

As Burt4x4 would say: "Welcome to the addiction!"....

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

If you're going to be driving on the street you could probably use the OD in the 700r4 but if not I'd go with a TH400 auto or sm465 manual. A lot of people will say 700s are horrible but it should be ok with 35's and the right gear ratio(make sure you don't over heat it). For gears I'd go with 4.56 for road use or 4.88 for offroad use. As for the T-case the best stock is a 205 but with that 305 I think your 208 will do fine. I hoped that helped a little.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Best setup? How's your pocketbook feeling?

If I had say a 3K allotment, here's what I'd do:
    3/4 ton axles with 4.10 gears already in there. Weld the rear.
    35" tires/new 8 lug steel wheels. Get the 15's and grind, you'll thank yourself later
    NV4500 tranny. NP205 transfer case. Or hey doubler. OR ATLAS. What about a Klune V stacked on a doubler with an atlas back half. LOL

It really depends on your budget and where you want to go.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

thanks... i was also wondering what you think the minimum gear ratio is that i could run.... if i tried running 35's before i upgrade my axles with lower gears.

thanks

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well an ideal starting set up would be a 10 bolt or dana 44 front. I would go for the 4.56's myself with 35's. more torque qnd your engine is always in your torque curve. A 305 well 700r4 would be fine but th400 would be great if you can find adecent core to build on. Ive been looking for quite awhile. np208 isnt a bad choice and will work with your 305 quite well. rough housing converted 203 or 205 for sure. dtroit true trac in the front and a ez locker in the rear or detroit locker. Like above you could weld.

</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>
    "If First you don't succeed, Destroy all attempts you've tried"

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

With a 305 and a 700, I would think you could get by with 3.73 gears. I did this for a while. Didn't have much get-up-and-go, but it was okay. Just be careful using OD on the highway. If your engine is fighting it and downshifting a bit, leave it in D. That will really depend on what "power" your 305 has left.

You could also get away with 3.42s (or whatever the next step down is). Just I would use OD and wouldn't tow. You won't be able to pull the bottom out of a wet paper bag.

If you have 3.08s, I would wait until you upgarde axles/get new gears, before increasing your tire size. The 305 would really suffer with these.

If you have an extremely healthy 305 (oxymoron I know!), you might be able to do some other combinations. The key is to keep your tranny from getting too hot.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. mudober

mudober Registered Member

Well heres my opinion on body lifts.I'd stay with a 2" the lip below your front turnsignals will line up with your bumper not over the top &amp; your tailgate springs will still work.