Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinion on elec fan`s.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dafey, Apr 9, 2007.

?

Elec fan or keep what I have

Poll closed Jun 8, 2007.
  1. Elec fan

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Belt driven fan

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

The cost to replace my fan shroud is going to be $80 for a 2 peice or $120 for a 1 peice.
    Or I can get a elec fan for $144.00.
    [and Im not even sure which I need yet.]
    So for just $60 at the most I can have a elec fan :)

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/0104.asp

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

you can go electric for less than that... i probably have about half that in my set-up. Ford Windstar or Taurus fan + 2 relays + temp sending unit + wire + switch. Junkyard for the fans, summit for the sending unit and regular autoparts store for other stuff.

or you could go to the junkyard and get a "new" radiator shroud...

3. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

4. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The windstar fans (junkyard) are supposed to flow a lot more air than the black magic ones.:doah: I swapped my windstar fan in for dirt cheap.:D

Z

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got the twin Flex-a-lite fan setup, pulls a ton of air. I had to have twin fans for my application with a 406. I like them a lot, makes the A/C kick butt....

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

X2!

7. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

Hmm,
    I've considered this, but what about a BBC in AZ?
    any opinions on reliability of an Efan system compared to the tried and true mech fan?
    experience?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Reliability of an OEM fan cannot be questioned...if it's a good fan, installed right, it will work just as long/reliably as all the electric fans used in modern vehicles.

As to air movement, the clutch fans still seem to be king (when working right) at moving the most amount of air the easiest.

9. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I have never had issues with the 2 camaro iroc electric fans on my blazer and I love them.

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've considered running the taurus or windstar fan, to free up a little power, but i'd probably keep the stock belt-driven one in the cab as a backup. i just don't like the idea of going through a creek or something and shorting out the fan and not having another option.

11. dyeager535

I don't think you would need to worry about shorting it out. From what I've seen, (mythbusters! lol) window motors have no problem running completely submerged, I don't know why it would hurt an electric fan to get submerged. If it's wired right anyways, it wouldn't come on as that much water would cool the engine off quickly.

One of the advantages of electric fans (about the only one really for our trucks) is that you can just turn it off, while the stock fan you can't, and can eat your radiator in water crossings.

12. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I picked up a set from a Dodge van at Pick n Pull for $10. They flow pretty good.

13. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I ran a my .60 over BBC in Florida for years with two factory GM electric fans from an Grand Am. Never once had a heat issue.

I also prefer dual fan over a single. The main reason is that if one motor takes a dump, I have another to get me home. As far as water, it's not an issue. I have ran my truck extremely deep and fully submerged the fans (while turned off), drove out of the water and turned them back on immediately. Just make sure you run an off switch so that you can override the temp sensor and turn them off in the water. Otherwise you will probably break the fan blades upon entering the water.

14. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

ideally, there should be no problem with water, but, in real-world application, my friend shorted out his jeep fuel injection system in a few feet of water, a day of mudding got too much gunk in my starter and it cemented the motor up, and i managed to toss a rock into a spark plug during a hill-climb and smashed it. luckily i had a set of old spare plugs with me. i'm not trying to argue here, but i'm just saying that some wierd stuff can happen when you do what we do. and i don't even go crazy on the trail.

15. dyeager535

Shorting it out and plugging it up are two completely different things. Electric fan is an electric motor. Ignition modules, ECMs, or relays (for instance) are all items that have extremely small tolerances for maltreatment, which is due to the way they are constructed. Electric motors aren't the same thing.

I agree though, you could certainly fill one up with mud and cause problems, other than not being able to shut it off, a mechanical fan does have fewer components. :)

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's an interesting debate..

Here's my .02...

horsepower, really not a big deal.. Maybe a screaming mud truck..

The mechanical would have to get the edge in reliabilty, tho if done right, I think electric CAN be comparable.. I have had clutchs go...

The advantages of electric are, shutting off for water crossings, AND cleaner engine compartment, frees up space and a little safer around running motors..

I'm psyched to do my custom Windstar install.. Should be doing that within the month or so..

All that being said, I will end this with a warning, imo you need to have a damn good electrical system to run some hooveresque fans.. 5000 cfm's draws a good amount of juice..

17. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

will a elec fan from a 01 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 work on a 350?

18. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

My Lex-A-Lite set up is rated for 5500 CFM, it has had zero problems since I installed the setup.

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run a Flex-a-lite mechanical flex fan. And for $30 you can't go wrong!
    Same idea as the stock setup, but this one has no clutch but the fan blades will deflect the faster the fan spins.

I have ran one for more than 2 years now and I have no complaints, never once overheated or ran too hot. The one problem I did have is that in a water crossing the fan blades hit the water and bent some. So for $30 they are cheap enough to just outright replace. Also watch out when you are working on your engine while its running with one of these, they will chop your hand right off, but man do they move a **** load of air!

If you want, I can post pictures of my setup...

20. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I put a dual 3-speed setup from an early 90's Cadillac into my K5, but I also put an aluminum radiator in at the same time. I have ZERO cooling issues, and I think that if I left the fan off, I'd still cool just fine. I'll probably try it one day......

Anyhow, I had a taurus two speed setup with a less than desireable homemade shroud, and it cooled okay with a standard four core radiator. Once the cooling fins started rotting out in the front of the radiator, my cooling SUCKED! But aluminum radiator+electric fans+happy motor.

[​IMG]