Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinion on keeping A/C system or getting rid of it

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAD LUCK 79', Jul 19, 2002.

1. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

ok here's my problem.... me personally don't care if i have A/C or not.. i just run with windows down... now put the wife into the truck and it's a whole different story... (wind blowing her hair around, TO HOT.. yes this is the big one.. she can't stand the heat..., or the cold for that matter.. damn women) ... also . i'm going to remove the whole front end of the truck to do some repairs on the front clip and such.. well for that the condenser and A/C lines need to come off... from what i was told the system had been converted over... but it hasn't been ran in over a year easy... haven't put a belt on it.. so what's the chances that the system will even have a charge on it still??

2. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

turn the compressor for the airconditioning into a air compressor put a small tank in the bed or somewhere and there ya go you have an air compressor about the wife its not a bad thing that your truck is older than your wife i have cars that are older than me so dont worry about that

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

living in fl i think i would want the ac in tact.
    as long as the system has no leaks it should still have a charge. not much trouble to put a belt on and try it out.
    if it wasa already converted over to 134A then it should be cheap to refill the system if you need to work on it.
    r12 on the other hand can get a little $$$.
    of course the air pump idea is always good if your not going to use the ac at all.
    good luck

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If you converted an AC compressor into an air pump and ran it into a tank, would the compressor pump air non-stop?

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You can rig up a switch that controls it. Some people put a three way switch in there system sometimes that only allows the compressor to kick in if the system is charged and will shut down when the pressure gets to high. I'm sure you could get just a high pressure switch. Personally I'd have the A/C and get an electric compressor.

They're really is anything to be scared of with A/C. There isn't any need to tear open the system change all the seals, drier, compressor, etc. In fact GM says in their service bulletins that a drier change is not required. Just take it in to a shop and have a vaccum put on it and see if it holds. Then you can go down to advance autoparts or a similar store and buy the R-134a. I didn't get the kit because of the cheesey line they give you with the kit. I just got the R-134a line and can tap with the brass, not plastic, fittings. Then you can just buy the new fittings and hook up. I bought three of the large cans with the 134 and oil. It comes 11 oz of 134a and 2 oz of oil. Put in three cans and you've got about 2 pounds of refrigerant and 6 ounces of oil. Guess what, the R4 compressor takes 6 ounces of oil and you charge 134 at 80% of what you would 12. Since it originally needed 2.5lbs of R-12, those three cans equal the recommended amount of 80% (2lbs). Don't worry about the oil, most of these kits used is what is known as a polyol ester oil. R-12 uses a mineral based oil. The oils won't mix and make some deadly concoction as everybody was hollering about when 134 first came out. The old mineral just finds a low spot in system and sits. Doesn't do any good, nor harm.

My '83 shortbox refitted with 134a cools better than my dads '89 jimmy with r-12.

6. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

So you're telling me that I wasted the $25 bucks on the conversion kit, seeing as how I opened it to read the instructions and put in the console (where it still sits 4 months later). All I have to do is pull a vacuum on it and charge it with 134. If so where can I get a copy of this bulletin.

Kirk

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Course not, I just got the brass fitting version because I'm going to do alot of vehicles and I have a tendency to break things. I had 134 in mine already because a guy my uncle knows did it. He didn't put in any oil and thats a big no no. I figured I'd buy just the fitting since I just need some a way to put in a little oil. I bought a little can of oil (2oz). The oil comes with a few ounces of 134a to suspend it in and I figured I don't want to overcharge it so I just started from scratch. I don't know where to get the exact bulletein. I was just reading up on drier replacements and they referred to a GM bulletein saying you didn't.

8. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

What might be wrong with my a/c if it is fully charged but cold are is not coming out and the accumulator does not get cold?? The compressor also continually runs.