Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinions... 10 bolts and 35's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

opinions... 10 bolts and 35\'s

alright, here goes.. ive got 10 bolts front and rear and 33s. i want to go to 35's and 4.56 gears and an air locker in front.ive got a true trac in back and am happy with it. i dont wheel too hard, mostly put put stuff. is it wise to put all that money into the 10 bolts? im definatly not going any bigger than 35s, and i dont want to go thru the hassle of buying bigger axles if i dont have to. plus i like the ground clearance the 10's provide. the idea of a 14ff hanging down there with only 35's seems kinda overkill to me. is this a good idea? ive also pondered the idea of going with a 14sf and using the 8 to 6 lug adapters. how much ground clearance would i lose with a 14sf compared to a 10? any input would be greatly appriciated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Re: opinions... 10 bolts and 35\'s

A search on this topic would net a few results..........
    Don't waste money putting a $600+ locker in a front 10 bolt. Leave it open and that lessens the chance for breaking the shafts. 35's on 10 bolts can last, it depends on your throttle usage. If it's mostly slow stuff like you say, you'll be fine. Re-gear like you say and let that be your only upgrades to these axles. Maybe you could do some Moser or Yukon rear axleshafts for some extra strength. Keep them maintained and replace the axle bearings at the end of the tubes with some new Made in USA bearings.
    A 14 bolt SF, you wouldn't lose too much ground clearance, and it would definitely be an upgrade. If you can get one, go ahead and do it, but you'll be buying an axle and would have to re-gear it also. The choice is yours, but 10 bolts will work fine for slow driving. Most people who have 10 bolts break gov-loks more than anything else.

3. Miller

Miller Registered Member

10 bolts arent worth spitn on, 14sf axles are barely with drivn with, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I wouldnt spend the money on either 10 bolt front or rear. 44s and 14ff axles are all over the place, chevy 60s can be had for alittle more cash.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Stick with the 10 bolts. 14 Bolts are too big for just 35's. If you find yourself breaking the rear axle I would suggest moving up to a 12 bolt. I also give the nod to the air locker in the front, but only use it when you absolutely have to or you will break U-Joints and axle shafts because the air lockers acts like a spool when engaged.

5. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I have thought about an air locker for my front end for only when I absolutely need it, like when my brothers 69 Ford cant make it through a hole, and I need to show him up (not very often)

How much would I be looking at for one?

Please dont tell me what a waste it would be, I am running this 10 bolt til it dies. Thanks

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

wanna kill that 10 bolt eh? lol just get a welder...

7. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

The ARB's are $$. I'm currently running 10 bolts with 35's (14FF is in the garage getting ready) and have only busted one u-joint (and that was a dried out stock joint). Its all in how you wheel it. Some say if you put a locker in a 10 bolt, you will blow it up. I've got a lock-right in the front and a gov-lok in the rear. Yes, the gov-lok sucks...
    I find that you can be easier on the truck when you are locked. As long as you let your tires do the work, and don't mash the go pedal, you should be fine.

I personally wonder how many people on this forum smash the gas at every obstacle after reading all the 10bolt/D44 haters on here. A little finesse could go a long way to save us all from having to pay 2K for a D60 up front.

8. 84K5cedric

I'm not sure the 12 bolt would be worth change. If you are worried about clearance, why not a rear D60? or like you mentioned above, a 14SF... can't you get those in 6 lug?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    44s and 14ff axles are all over the place, chevy 60s can be had for alittle more cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Chevy '60 isn't a little more cash. It's over $1000 depending on where you find it.

Why swap out a 10 bolt for a D44? Stupid in my opinion. D44 is the same strength as a 10 bolt front and is harder to find used shafts for. That would be a step backwards in my opinion and is not very good advice.

As to the rear, I won't argue with you. It is pointless to spend a dime on a semi floating axle. If your idea of fun is having your rear tire pass you, still bolted to the axleshaft, go for it, be my guest. 14 bolt axles are simply too cheap for the rear to go with anything else.

I think a 12 bolt swap in the rear would be a step backwards too. The shafts are slightly bigger (around .1" if I recall correctly) and they're 30 spline instead of 28. Big deal...the pinion bearings are smaller, the ring gear slighly larger, but nothing about a 12 bolt is really all that much better than a 10 bolt rear.

My suggestion to you is to simply find a set of 3/4 ton axles and swap them in. If you're so worried about the decrease in ground clearance, grind away. Not like it'd be all that much work anyway.

That's my not so humble opinion anyway. I'm about to put my fourth set of axles under my truck. If I had it to do all over again, my decisions would have been far different than they have been. I suppose everyone has to learn the hard way though so I suspect you won't take my advice.

As to the air locker, forget it. If you're afraid of a locker (I have one in my daily driver and can't imagine why you would be) then just put another truetrac in the front or something. Hell, even a Lock-right up front with one hub locked in would be fine if you're afraid of the steering characteristics of a locker. Then when you really need it, get out and lock the other hub. I can't see why a front locker is so important to you if you're never going to run over 35s anyway.

It's your truck, the ultimate decision is yours. I eventually went to 3/4 ton stuff because I got it free. I didn't have a resource like this site at the time, and I had no idea that they'd bolt in that easily when I first set out to do the project.

Knowing all I know now (that I've learned almost completely from this site) I wish I could go back and do it all over agian!

10. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Well, the man has said all that needs to be said. The 3/4 ton axles are the only way to go. I dumped my 10-bolt for a 14FF and haven't had a single problem. They are stronger than anything you'll find for a direct bolt up and saying 35's are all the bigger you'll go..........hmmmmmm, heard that BEFORE!! hahaha I'm so pleased with the 14FF that I'm going to throw one into my '94 Blazer when I get the chance. I'd say just spend the $$$ on a 3/4 ton, it'll be worth it in the long run. Instant gratification or future hardcore wheeling?? haha

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the input guys. ive got alot to think about now. i think i'll just put new gears in and leave it alone.my rear end has been clunking lately so i need to do something soon. i cant afford to go with an axle swap right now. save my pennies and keep an eye out for 3/4 ton gear. i'll hold off buying the arb for bigger axles. thanks again.

12. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ya man ive got 35s on 10's and there doin fine, ive got a factory posi in the rear,the spider gears are missing some teeth but hey it gets the job done. also have 4.88s

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If 14 Bolt's are so much better how come I broke an axle tube on mine but never broke one on my 10 bolt? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm sorry but if someone is never going to run larger than 35's a pair of 10 bolts will work just fine. The stock carrier and shafts are the weak points in the rear axle. If you add an aftermarket carrier like a Detroit or ARB and some aftermarket alloy shafts from Moser and a good quality ring and pinion you will have a combo that will last a long time and will be hard to break unless you have a 454. Of course you could always step up to a FF 10/12 bolt.

14. 84K5cedric

I think the point here is why spend all that money on shafts and/or FF conversion for your 10 bolt when you can pick up a 14FF for ~$150?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly.

16. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Are there any 14 bolts that are 6 lugs and where the hell can I find one for the rear of my 87 for $150???

17. 84K5cedric

Well, I'm not in CA, so I can't help you with the search or price. There isn't a 14FF in 6-lug, but I think there is a 14SF in 6-lug, though they are harder to find... but that doesn't solve "the wheel passing you on the road with the broken axle still attached" issue.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Just find new axles with the gear ratio that you want. You can get the 14sf in 6-lug, but only from a newer truck. The shafts and drums can be swapped, so a pre-IFS housing with newer 6-lug shafts is a bolt-together swap. That's what I did. Search for more info on this. The 14sf is harder to find than the 14ff, so it can be more expensive.

If you are afraid of losing your wheel from breaking a SF axle, just do a disc brake conversion (Also what I did).

A 12-bolt rear isn't much better than a 10-bolt rear. If you already had one with the right gears, then it would be worth your time.

There is also somebody now offering machine work to convert a 14FF to 6-lug. I don't know if it's worth it or not, but you might want to check into it. Again, you'll have to search on this.

19. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the axle is $150...What kind of shape is it in? Are the bearings shot? Do you have to re-gear it to match your front axle? Is it the 3/4 ton one that bolts in, or 1 ton that needs the perches and shock mounts moved? What about converting the front to 8 lug or buying the 6 lug adapters? Lets see what the price really is...
    Axle $150 (Never seen one that cheap around here...)
    Front 8 lug conversion = $350-$400
    8 lug wheels = $200
    R+P if different ratio = $160 plus labor is you can't do it
    That's almost $1,000 right there...not $150. Not to mention your driveshaft might still be too short...
    Stick with the 10 bolt till you break one. Then think about what you should do. If you spend 90% of your time on the road, you don't need a 14FF.

20. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I spend 90% of my time on the road, in the winter I go look for some mud holes and a few trails to play with...I dont drive it hard off road unless I am in the mud and floor it! In the summers I do mild trails for fishing and camping. I was thinking of putting the $800 for front and rear gears (already have an auburn posi in the back) and then finding a set of 35's. With my mild offroad adventures...will this setup holdup to some good mud fun...oh remember this is california mud.