Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinions about beck's automotive in dfw, tx

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Mar 2, 2006.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

anyone here used this place? they look decent on the better business bureau. their ad said $1089, installed, for a 350 with 4yr/50k mile warranty. that sounds like a good deal, unless they use bad parts and don't honor the warranty or something. since i planned to do the swap myself, i've already pulled everything except the manifolds and distributor, but time and weather have not permitted so far. any chance they'd drop the price since it's almost ready to pull, or maybe raise it, for some reason? thanks for any input

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They may want to raise the price because you took the engine apart allready. Most shops do not like it when somebody brings them a vehicle, which the owner has attempted to fix it on their own and failed, and then brings it to their shop in pieces. This is refered to in the industry as a "basket case". When you bring a vehicle, allready taken apart in peices, to an automotive repair shop, they are no longer compelled by local state law to honor the book repair rates, and can now charge you hourly rates.

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

basketcase, huh? i like that. ha. well, the engine itself is still in one piece. i just got all the junk (alternator, etc) out of the way. i guess i'm sort of backwards. i've done a few swaps personally, but i've never actually had someone else do it for me. and if our nasty weather doesn't return, that won't change.

but, on the other side of things, if anyone is familiar with their engines, i'd like to hear it. thanks.

4. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

you get what you pay for. a rebuilt 350 installed for inder 1500 seems really cheap. You might want to read thier fine print. might cost extra for some stuff. I would go get a rebuilt motor from city eng supply or blanes if your on a tight budget. if not i could recommend a couple really good machine shops in the dfw area. eihter way i think there is more than meets the eye on that price.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I would take Blaine's over City any day.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

it does look like blaine's has some pretty sweet deals. i'll check them out. thanks

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

We in the diesel industry call it a "Cluster f**k".

Sounds almost too good to be true, but I'd take Leper's word on it...stand up guy.

My city motor supply engine has 50k on it and still running strong. Was ~$650 for the premium long block and orange paint.

8. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

so, leper, what makes you prefer blaine's over city? prices look pretty similar. better service or something?

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have dealt with both. On a 350 no less. I know everyone has their "off" days, and your only as good as the people who are working that day,but......when ya get a motor that has one piston bigger than the rest, or the "new" pistons have been painted with "chrome" to cover up the carbon, it kinda makes you wonder about what else is going on. This happened quite a while back, so they may have became better. It just left a bad taste that won't go away.
    I deal with many people that have used both. I always seem to find ones who have one issue or another. My experience with Blaines was always good. I have seen and bought longblocks/shortblocks/heads and not had any problems with Blaines. I sent my brother there if that tells you something. If you ask a bunch of locals who have dealt with both I think you will find more props to Blaines than City.
    But,IIRC City does have the cheapest bare bones reman that you can buy around here. So if the budget must rule, and time is critical,City is an option.
    If you get a shortblock from them, or anyone, you can inspect alot more of it than you can with a complete motor.(which is what I personally had a problem with). Having decent engine knowledge will save you the most trouble. A visual inspection at purchase will rule out problems like I ran into. And even if a complete is a little cheaper than the short and heads seperately, I think the quality is better to buy them seperate.
    But remember, my personal dealings were several years ago and may have been a lone issue.