Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions/Advice on my Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Mar 9, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, so I'm about to lift my Jimmy 4" with a suspension lift and I'm putting 35x12.50 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on it. But now I have another problem. My head gasket is blown in my 305. It still runs, but the oil just keeps turning into foam and the coolant keeps just disappearing. I'm debating on whether I should:

Replace the head gasket and flush the motor, or just drop a different motor in it. I've never been in this type of situation before, so I need some advice.

Also, how do you guys think my Jimmy will do in the mud once I fix the motor and lift it? I'm tired of my friends ripping on it saying it's weak because it has trouble in mud. But considering it has almost completely bald A/T's on it and a crappy 305 at stock height, I expect it to suck in mud. Hopefully the motor fix, lift, and tires will help me truck through the mud without using 4LO all the time.

Opinions/Advice anyone?

2. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

305 can make power if its running ok, what gears do you have?

i vote fix and flush it.

3. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Um, I'm not sure what gears I have. I know I have the stock corporate 10 bolt in the rear, and I believe a stock D44 in front. Not sure what gearing though. I'm sure you guys probably know.

4. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

And do you think just changing the head gasket would fix the 305, or would I need to do a complete "rebuild"?? I'm not even sure how to change a head gasket. Actually how HARD is it?

5. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Piss on them people rippin on U. It will do awesome in the MUD SNOW And everything else U through at it. See whos laughing when U have 2 pull them out.I have an 87 JIMMY and I have never been slowed by the goo. 1.5 lift 33's Soon to have 6" and 35's and I'll still have no Problems. Good Luck and have fun.

6. RubberFloorMat

well have you been driving it around with a badly blown gasket??

if so you may have made it alot worse.

personally i wouldnt rebuild a 305, for a couple hundred more you could have a 350.

7. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm thinking about searching for a 350, since they're more commonly used in these trucks. The problem is finding one that's not already F'd up for a decent price. What do you think is a decent price to pay on a nicely running 350?

Also, I have no idea how to swap an engine, nor do I have the equipment or space to do it in. I'd really hate to pay a shop to do it too....Man, I hate perdicaments like this....

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would not waste my time trying to fix that 305. You could end up wasting a lot of time and money trying to fix it, and find nothing short of a complete rebuild is what it really needs. Go to a high volume engine rebuilder, and get yourself a low cost stock 350 for about $800 to $900.

9. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with the 350. Good stuff!

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Would the 350 bolt up to the same transmission? I believe it would, but I just want to make sure first. I'll do some looking to see what I can do and afford....Wish me luck...

11. RubberFloorMat

yes everything should be the same = bolt up to the 350.

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i wouldn't waste my time on the 305... very easily could be more than just a gasket... cracked head would turn it into a cluster****... and like others said, if its had milkshake in it for any length of time, bearings and such have been hurt... lotta work to redo the topend and have suspect bearings still.....

i'd put my effort towards the powerplant and let the suspension work get done when your confident in the motor... 350 long blocks can be had for under a grand...

13. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

I also say go to 350. 305 is ok, but for the cost I think the 350 replacement would be a nicer dealSee if you can find a low mileage used. Save the money for the suspension build up.

14. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Changing out an engine is a weekend affair. (sometimes 1/2 a day for the real diehards) All you need is a good assortment of hand tools. Sockets, wrenches, ect. The one major thing that you need and most likely don't have is the cherry picker to lift the engine in and out. Not a big deal. If you know somebody that has one borrow thiers (bribe them to help with beverages and food). If you don't know anybody with one, go down to the local rental equipment shop. Rent it for the weekend and again, bribe buddies with food and beverage to come help. Have the engine out saturday and the fresh one in and running by sunday afternoon.

The key to this is having an engine ready to install. You are not going to rebuild the engine in a weekend and install it too. (not unless you want to do it again soon) 350 long blocks are fairly easy to come by, wether you buy a reman assembly at the parts store or local rebuilder or pull one from a boneyard that still has some life left in it. When you got the 305 out then you can swap all the accessories over to the 350 as they will all bolt right up as everybody else has said.

Swapping engines does seem like a overwhelming task for a beginner, but you got to start somewhere right? Take your time, mark all wiring connections and take digital pictures of the locations they go in. Everything should fall right into place.

I did mine in a weekend with a buddy. Took our time had the engine out by lunch on sat and spent a couple of hours scraping old grease and steam cleaning the engine bay. Spent more time swapping some of the accessories as I was going serpentine at the same time (just needed the p/s pump) and swung the engine back in that afternoon. Called it quits and hit it sunday morning. Hooked up wiring, hoses and exhaust. Had it purring after lunch.

It wasn't the first time I've done one, nor was it for my buddy, but we were in no hurry. Just a good weekend wrench session. Start looking for a decent 350 and start prep for the swap...