Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions and suggestions for max articulation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5DRAGER, May 6, 2002.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm begining to start the new project Blazer. Its a 91 rollover I bought cheap. Looking at putting 4 inch lift on and am looking for suggestions as to what has worked for you and what hasn't. Looking at Springer shackle setup for the rear or maybe an ORD shackle flip with revolver shackles. I'm going to be running with my two brothers and will need as much flex as possible to stay with them.(ya they both have tricked out jeeps) For the rest of the truck it will be running 38.5x14.5x15 sx's on one ton axles with 5.13's and detriots front and rear. No top at all, no doors and no tailgate. I will have a full cage and tube doors. My cousin is installing them now. Well let me know. And thanks for any input wether it be bad or good.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have the shack flip + revolvers. Pics of the install are on my web shots. Wish I could give ya some info on its off-road capabilities... but I have had so many projects going (not to mention school) that I haven't been able to get everything else set up so I could test it (ie shock relocation kit etc). At any rate, if ya had any questions about the install of the shack flip or revs, that my webshots captions dont answer, lemme know!

J

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

For the front to get the most articulation you can do 2.5" springs and a buggy leaf setup. I would go lighter than you are though to make it more stable. The rear I would say go with marvs setup versus the shackle flip and revolvers. Marvs setup is easier to put on, and works better IMO.

Dan

Dan

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind a bit of custom work you could go to 63" leaves out back and put your stock rear springs in the front. I am have the shackle flip and am going to be moving it the front hanger to be able to bolt up some 63" leaves (the nice thing is no welding as I have no welder).

Marv's setup is nice (in the rear...even he says the buggy spring front is more hassle than it is worth) but I'm not into goofy shackles.

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

The real question is how road stable does it need to be. I have the revolvers and shackle flip and no problems at all. I have heard nothing but good stuff about Marv's setup. You could make your own esstially. I would definetly go longest springs possible and move hangers out towards ends of frame. Will also help with approach and departure. I trail ride with an almost all jeep club and it will always be tough to compete due to their weight. Most of them have 35's and even some 4 cylinders and do as good as me with 39's and 350, doubler and so on. I have the flex to compete in the rock crawling and gears, but I also carry around about 2K more pounds than they. I would advise buggy setup for front unless completely off-road vehicle. Any goofy shackles up front are asking for trouble on road considering lateral inputs in steering. Just my 2 cents. Have fun with mods man.

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

4" lift, and 38's? Yikes... if its going to be a straight trail rig, why stop at 4? I say 6 or even 8! Slap some 40-42s on there! Would ditch my 36's any day for a nice set of 40's! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Yep this will be about 95% trail rig and for now I'm tring to keep to 4 inches due to being too tipsy on some of the trails and yes I'll probly buy the economy pack of sawzall blades. LOL