Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions *Computer*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a chance to buy a [ QUOTE ]
    IBM Thinkpad T21 P3, 800Mhz, 256Mb*20Gb*DVD*

[/ QUOTE ] For $70.00 + 30.00 shipping. It need a operating system, but for $100.00 do you think it's a good deal ??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif [ QUOTE ]
    Description
    Item Specifics - PC Laptops
    Brand: IBM Hard Drive Capacity: 20 GB
    Chip Type: Intel Pentium III Screen Size: 14 inches
    Model: T21 -- Operating not System Included: --
    Processor Speed: 800 MHz Primary Drive: DVD-ROM
    Memory (RAM): 256 MB Condition: --

IBM Thinkpad T21 Laptop. The condition is good. Please look at the specs below.

Specifications:

CPU: Intel Pentium III Mobile 800Mhz
    Display: 14.1" TFTP
    RAM: 256Mb
    HDD: 20Gb
    DVD: Yes DVD Player
    Modem: 56Kbps Built In
    Sound: Yes

Comes with Adaptor with power cord.

Conditions: The laptop in good condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I would definitly say thats a good deal. I read the classified ads and see pcs similar to that go for anywere from $400 to $600. Even after installing an operating system you will still have saved lots of money. Good luck if you decide to get it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hmmmm....If the hd is the original then no. They do have a life and considering the age of this you could be updated soon. Also, todays operating systems will STRESS that cpu making it REAL slow.

Also, running dvd on that thing has got to be a problem...perhaps choppy at best. Offer the person $45 bucks and be done with it.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, todays operating systems will STRESS that cpu making it REAL slow.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd probley just have Windows 98 installed on it. That's what they originally used on the T21. It's a new hard drive, that's why it's blank.

5. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I'd give it a shot, laptops are really convenient. If it is no good then chalk it up as a loss and don't do it again, but I'd definitely buy it.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do it. If you don't, do it and I'll send you $100 for it.

Thinkpads are awesome. Try to get a network card if you can, I noticed that wasn't listed and I'm sure you have DSL. The only problems I ever had with Thinkpads were with a 750MHz Thinkpad (around the same generation) in Win2k where it would blue screen if you hit the fn. I nor IBM could figure it out, then one day I was working on something else on the machine, and viola, FN was fine, even did what it was supposed to. The other problem was with the PCMCIA sockets only providing cards with 3 volts instead of 3.3, which is ok normally, but bad for finicky wireless cell cards. It wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Get it, 800Mhz is fine, even if you go WinXP. If I didn't just upgrade my Vaio, and they made a thinkpad with a DVD writer, I'd try to convince my boss I need one...

Ask a lotta questions about wear when buying a used laptop, though. I've seen people wear out palm rests and spacebars in a year, and others go 3 years looking like they used the machine once a week... Displays/covers can also wear out if the PO travelled alot, but I see that more often on cheaper laptops like Compaqs/HP's, haven't seen it on an IBM yet.

Good luck whatever you do.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man I'd love a laptop.....

Send it to meeeeeeeeeee!

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

That is a GREAT deal!

I would put XP Pro on it. Windows XP gives you much greater control and functionality (especially with USB devices like cameras) and you can easily make it look and feel like Windows 98 if you like the older interface. I run XP Pro on a my 233 and 500 Mhz laptops and they both do great. The 233 (Compaq Armada 7730MT) isn't the fastest thing in the world (no DVD player, windowed mpegs get choppy) but once I disabled most of the unneeded services it runs great for web browsing and picture storage on the road. The 500 (Thinkpad 600x) plays DVD's just fine at full screen and even handles Everquest pretty good.

The trick with XP on a slower laptop is to disable all the pretty transition effects and goofy services that Microsquish adds to "enhance the user experience" but an 800 Mhz Thinkpad isn't a slow machine no matter how you look at it.

Hint: When working with Thinkpads visit IBMs website and download all of the drivers and updates for that machine and burn them on a CD BEFORE you install any OS. You'll thank me later. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Add another 256 Megs of RAM and you will have a great machine!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll line up behind <font color="orange">newyorkin </font> to grab it if you don't want it.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif