Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions of Lamar, CO

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DieselBurb, Aug 17, 2003.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Any of you Colorado boys (or gals) have any info and/or opinions of Lamar? Wheeling, living there, etc?

Thanks

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

go ask in the mile high forum.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Or did you already try that and theres nobody there... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know much about the place, but it's closer to Kansas than it is to the mountains. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'd guesstimate that you're looking at a 2+ hour drive to get to the mountains from there.

It's a pretty small town. The population of the entire county is only something like 15,000. It also gets HOT there in the summer, with many days well over 100 degrees. I think that it's mainly an agriculture based economy. Try a Google Search and see what you come up with.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Been a long, long time since I've been through there and been a real long time since my brother lived there.

About the only memory of the town that I have left is the night we destroyed a boatload of refried beans at the Taco Tico on one of our many Gunnison fishing trips when I was just a wee lad.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think "chevyracing" lives around that area somewhere. You might wanta ask him if he knows anything about Lamar.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Lamar is not much fun, it is in the Arkansas Valley and gets hotter than hell. Very flat land. There are a few lakes around the area, not far from John Martin Reservoir, Lake Hasty, Lake Meridith, and a few others. Not much wheelin' around there at all.

Are you thinking about going to college there or something?

John

7. DieselBurb

Thanks all for the info. No, I might be coming there for other reasons. I grew up in West Texas, so hot and flat without lakes doesn't really bother me. I guess its not as humid there as it is here in Houston?

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Lamar: Very flat, fairly hot gets up around 110 max. Not humid unless raining. Very dry. Some decent shooting ranges around if you are into that. There is some fair wheeling in the canyons near Two Buttes, which is about 40 miles south of Lamar and then west. Some better wheeling down south of Kim Colorado and into New Mexico. About 2 1/2 hours from Lamar. Not a real big place. I think they got a walmart now though. I lived there from 92 to 94. Actually in Springfield which is 47 miles south of Lamar. Not sure if ya got kids but Baseball is very big there. They have a small community college there. Fair Golf course. Housing wasn't real expensive.

For the family they didn't really like shopping because you had to go to Pueblo, Garden City Kansas, or Amarillo Texas for a decent mall.

PM me if you have other questions. I still have some friends that live in Lamar now and they could tell you more up to date info.

Several fishing spots. Some that have already been mentioned and two reserviors north of Lamar. Neenoshe and cant think of the other one. Some nice country places to live if you want some land.

9. DieselBurb

Thanks for all of the info. If God so wills, maybe the family and myself will be hooking up with ya'll in Colorado and see how wheeling is done in Colorado /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I lived there from 92 to 94. Actually in Springfield

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh...which of the 6 houses did you live in....

Can't say I know much about Lamar, but I've been through there over 100+ times. Small town in the middle of nowhere. Nothing like Houston or its suburbs.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Can't say I know much about Lamar, but I've been through there over 100+ times. Small town in the middle of nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

When I was growing up, Lamar was considered the big city /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

One other, you will be in close prox to LITTLE SAHARA SAND DUNES in Wynoka OK.
    if you have those types of toys as well.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

400 miles is close? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Ya know, I have a brother-in-law that has a big ranch there on the CO-KS line that has dunes. Haven't been up there yet, can't wait to go.

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what Bubba said.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can't say I know much about Lamar, but I've been through there over 100+ times. Small town in the middle of nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

When I was growing up, Lamar was considered the big city /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh.... Big City gulp...good lord did you live in Springfield too?

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

No. I'm from Boise City.

17. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No. I'm from Boise City.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round..... The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round... all through the town. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

19. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I figured you'd catch on.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Looking at your avitar, you might enjoy being there. Garder Inc is located there. If you are not famliar with them, they seem to compete with Boyce (sp) Equipment for the military surplus stuff. They have tons of stuff there. That is where I got my hummer tires. I think I paid 200 for 5 used 36x12.50x15.5s.