Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions of rat power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselBurb, Jun 11, 2003.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif with a 6.2/TH400/NP208/4.10 with 33's and about a 3" lift that I am looking to swap for a big block. Who has a truck that has the same except a 454 instead of the oil burner? How do you like it as a daily driver?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 78 Sub 4x with a built 396 and I'm going to swap it out for a 6.5TD. I like big blocks, but I like the 6.2/6.5 more.

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 454 with the SM465 and NP205. I realize this isnt the same as your setup, but thought I would lend my opinion. I LOVE my big block. I haven't had the pleasure of driving the diesel, but I have enough power to turn my 44's without hardly ever touching 4-low in the mud. On the other hand the military used the diesels in their blazers and such. Back when I had 33's it drove great on the street except my gas mileage is BAD. I think it would depend more on what kind of wheeling you do.

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I had a 454TBI with 4.10's and a 4L80 tranny, which is pretty close. Lots of power, lots of gas. About 9mpg in town, 11 hwy but thats with FI and O/D. Compared to your diesel it will seem like the gas tank has a hole in it.

I say do it if you dont put a lot of miles on the truck. Driving will be a lot more fun with a BBC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Rat power is good if you get a really BIG squirrel cage and cut off their tails. Hamsters are already tail-less. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Oh yeah, you can supercharge them by putting a cat in an aquarium and mounting it directly behind the squirrel cage.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well first thing is you couldn't get a 4x4 burb with the 454 before 92. So if somebody has one it aint factory, they swapped the motor.

I'm pretty close except 2wd. 88 454 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif TH400 3.73 gears and 31 inch tires.

Plenty of prower thats for sure. Cruises fine on the hwy but I keep her under 3k on the tach for steady cruise. Now I'm running hwy tires so I hit right at 10mpg but I'm working on bringing that up.
    Drop the hammer a 3k and she will get up and move to pass in a hurry.