Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions of the Brotherhood requested. More work stuff...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 24, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok so I'm still a Mitsubishi Technician at Faulkner of Quakertown. Fine and dandy there. But this past Monday, my team leader(7 years as a mitsu tech) and another member of my team both gave their 2 weeks notice. My team leader, Paul, was the only certified Mitsu tech we have. Now the Mitsu team consists of myself and one other person(who has 8 years with the company as a Ford tech...). I have 6 months as a Mitsu tech. Today they asked Paul, to leave(4 days into his 2 weeks notice). For reasons hes not sure of.

The guy in the bay next to me also gave his 2 weeks notice on Monday. That is 3 guys in one day. All for bigger($$) and better($$) things.

They want to send me to Mitsubishi Training, like A LOT OF IT. However, I am ACTIVELY looking for a new job. I don't like working for this company, nor do I care for Mitsubishis, THAT much. However it seems I would be in a position to make more money, and be busier at work if I were one of 2(or 3 if they hire someone soon) Mitsu techs and would be the only certified one.

The 3 guys that quit, were the 3 out of 20 something techs that I got along with. I'm sure some of you realize, I'm not a people person and not good with people in general. So I usually find a few people I relate to and leave it at that. Now all of those guys in this place, are gone(well very shortly). I would have quit long ago if not for them.

So wtf do I do? I'm still an apprentice, for me to the basically the head Mitsu tech is well, nerve racking. I talked to my Dad and we both agreed, if I go to the schooling, I will not commit to the company. Namely if they say "we will send you but you have to give us 2 years", I won't do it. No commitment or no training. That ought to tip them off that I'm unhappy however. The other thing is, after 7 years with the company, they told Paul to take a hike, after he was nice enough to give notice and not just walk out himself(which he was that mad). I was told he said a few "burning bridges" type things when he gave notice, but still it seems childish to kick him out so suddenlly, especially when he was THE knowledgeable guy in the shop. I had another week and a half of time to gather what I could from him.

I just have no idea what to do. At this second I am not making enough money to be happy, don't think this company gives a crap about the employee, and now I'm considering sticking with them for a while?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

money isnt everything. sure, it'll help you buy toys and what not, but that's not what is most important in life. if you dont like working for the company, chances are that you dread getting up to go to work every morning. no matter how much they pay you, its not going to change. get something you enjoy doing, for a company you enjoy being a part of. in a situation like that, you're more motivated to do more things, better things, to benefit yourself and your employer. get in a situation like that, and the money will follow.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Take the training and run..........

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If they want to tie the training to a commitment, then a guaranteed minimum salary should also be part of the deal. This could be an opportunity for you to be the HMFIC. It COULD be a real stepping stone.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep money is not everything in life. who you work for and with can be the best payment along with fring benifits. i was working for a a$$ hat and left the betterpay to go back with my real crw of guys that are better at the work we do and we all just click together. i lost about 1.50 dollers a hour . but the payoff is better in my eyes.

and if you do anything anymore get ALL OF IT IN WRITING my mistake in the past. cover your a$$ bigtime these days!

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Yeah like beater said. Money isnt everything. I recently turned down a higher paying gig in the same company I worked for. Many due the fact it was 12-15 hours days, 6-7 days a week from sept. thru thanksgiving, possibly into december....weather permiting. I would be running a $350000 Terragator but heres the click I would be spreading hog manure the entire time.

Thanks but no thanks, some people just dont understand that just because your making a ton of money that you can still be unhappy.

My advice take a good hard look a where you want to be in five years, and go from there.

I myself see my current job as only a temporary deal and plan on moving back home in 1 or 2 years. While Im hear though Im takin advantage of everything I can. Im no forklift certified, I have my Semi License, with tanker and hazmat endorsements. I can post spray and will be learning how to spread 28% and Granular Fertilzers this fall hopely.

7. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I would take the training as long as there was no strings attached. You dont want to be tied down to some thing you hate doing. Learn as much as you can while you can Thats my moto ,or was it do as many as you can as fast as you can????:confused: :D

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You are young. Take the training cut a deal with the company for a guaranteed salary After completion. Put up with their BS for a few years to get experience then get a better job. Its only a few years not your whole life.

I have many years in the work force. The best advice i can give is ......Work Sucks! No mater who you work for. There is no perfect job.... Unless you work for yourself:D . You will always have to put up with azhole bosses and idiot co workers who will stab you in the back and twist it if they have the chance.
    Take the training(why look a gift horse in the mouth) Buck up,take a Little BS to get some working experience. Build a good reputation,( you may have to smile once in a while:D ) Set a goal as to where you want to be 5 years from now.
    What is going to happen if you quit?
    Go somewhere else and start all over as an apprentice? End up taking the same BS from a new boss?
    Use the system. Make the most of it. Don't let your ego get in the way.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

See I want to work for myself. But I need to make money so I can buy tools to start my business.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Take the training, and the tools, and run............... Ok, don't steal anything, but consider the long term benefit to you of the training. Training is always good, and even better when it is one somebody else's dime.....

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

if self employment is your goal, that's great.. but if it were me, I'd take the training since it's being offered.. it might be good to put your time in a high volume dealership for a few years.. that will discipline you to make the best use of your time when you are working for yourself later.. the next step should be a smaller low volume shop.. then you can learn the other side of the business, like scheduling jobs, being your own bill collector, dealing with vendors, all that fun stuff.. THEN worry about going out on your own..

I've known too many guys who were great welders, or engine builders, but that was all they knew.. they could do the work if it was in the shop, but they sucked at either getting the work in the door, or getting out on time so they made a profit..

I'm not saying you haven't thought of any of this, but this opportunity could be a good first step in getting you where you want to go eventually.

Tom

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. And don't worry about the fact that they let a guy go who had given notice. You will see that again.

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If they have so many poeple quitting it sounds like you may have leverage to change things for the better. I say take the training, and if they want a commitment get one from them for what you want, both in writing. If your goal is working for yourself, then you may have to put up with lots of crap to get the start up money you need. I say buckle down and do it. Being happy with your own business can make up for several years of being unhappy getting the money to start said business

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Bingo

15. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Sled, I'm glad you brought this up, and I'm glad your still at the shop. I know you have tech school behind you and I know your a gearhead. But you lack experience and in my opinion your dealership kind of threw you to the wolfs.

I remember the time you were stressing on a job and had so many drawers open that your box fell over. I could really picture the scene and I really felt bad for you.

When you have experience, a car rolls into your bay, you read the w/o, you lay out the required tools and get to it. This takes time and no school teaches all things for all situations.

As to the guys quitting and stuff I say this will not be your last job. If the shop is willing to hang on to you and offer training you should take it. We also know you were getting beat up on flat rate. I would sit down with the boss and tell him you really want to make this work, but you have to eat too. If that means doing more basic services and brake jobs while you gain experience and confidence, that's ok.

Don't worry about not careing for Mitsu's, all cars are ****, there just molded into different shapes.... it won't be you last shop.

Bottom line? I know you could go work for your dad and breath easier, but the easy way is not always the best way. I don't think you went to auto tech school so you could work for your dad.

I hope you hang in there and get the skills and experience. Five years from now you will look back and chuckle at what a rookie you were and how far you have come.

Best wishes whatever you do, Cary

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not recomend that to a young person just starting out with little work experience.
    Doesn't exactly look good on your reseume. I would not hire someone who did that. Shows they have no loyality. The question. How is it you are a ceritfied Mitsu Tech but have no experience? Is sure to come up in an interview. That would be fun to answer. The BS meter(All bosses have them) would be way over in the red.
    Without a lot of work experience you need all the good references you can get
    What kind of a reference do you think the employer that payed for your training is going to give you?

17. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

this is the best advice anyone could ever give you. I could try to say something along those lines, but thats better worded that what I would come out with.

An investment in time, and perhaps sanity, now will definatly payoff ten-fold a few years from now.

18. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Then you need to work with customers somewhere that it won't affect your business, so you can improve your people skills. Especially with the type of work you want to do, it's going to take sitting down with the customer, and being able to correct them when they say they want something stupid- without making them feel stupid.

If you take the training, you have to stick it out for a while, and it'll be better in the long run. Build a clientele,whereever you are before you go off on your own, and get to know the customers, and let them follow you.

19. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Words of wisdom right there. I've got to agree 100%.

I remember I was working in a shop and not too happy about it. A buddy of mine that worked with me quit and got me on at the new shop he was working at that paid about twice as much. I had basically zero diesel engine experience at the time and they specialized in ambulances. I made money, but it sucked. I ended up quitting in less than a year and going back to the first shop. My two cents is that you've got to do what you've got to do. I say, if you're not happy, continue looking for another job in you're spare time. Personally, I wouldn't pass up a chance at any education though. Best of luck making the decision.

20. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I'm self employed. That statement is a death sentence to a small/ one owner business. If you can't deal with people, you can't deal with customers.
    George