Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions of War of the Worlds -- May include spoilers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Grieby54, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Anyone seen it yet? I saw it and thought it was ok... there were far too many mistakes, audio in the background being off, the van being able to start the second time (not after being fixed, but after being driven to the mom's house and the lightening thingy happened), camera crew's camera still working after that, Tom Cruise being the main character and trying WAY too hard sometimes... so almost seeming cheesy, movements being too scripted (hiding behind cars, when the first thing comes out of the ground and everyone falls, gets up, and runs away at the EXACT same time, when the tentical searches the house for like 15 min. (do they search EVERY house that long??? Kinda inefficient), and when they're driving the van, the background is HORRIBLY OFF! But other than that it was ok, but I don't like how unexiting it ended... Woot woot for the bacteria saving the day... I wanted more aliens to come kill the other aliens and them to wanna try and take our planet, so there's like 2 races of aliens at each others throats over our planet and we're trying to fight... so it's like a free-for-all kinda deal... something cool like that. But all in all it was ok, I suppose it migh have been worth the $6.50 my local theatre charges, but I was dissapointed... :thinking: :shame:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Oh... wow... you don't say? That's some great feedback!

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You do realize this was a remake, right? Not to sound like a dick or anything, just the way your post is written it sounds like you never saw the orriginal, or even know that there is one.

I refuse to see it for that very reason, its a remake of a true classic. I may rent it when it comes to video, but i sure as **** wont be paying to see it in a theater. This is more of a travesty than them remaking Flight of the Phoenix and replacing Jimmy Stewart with that asshat Denis Quaid, who couldnt even act. The orriginal War of the Worlds is, IMHO, one of the greatest movies ever made, i cant believe spielberg had the gall to remake it, and actually think he could improve on it. Do yourself a favor, and go rent the orriginal, if it hasnt been taken off the shelves like they did for Flight of the Phoenix. :surepal:

I wonder how many people will go see this, and think it is a "new" movie, not realizing it is nothing more than a remake.

4. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

It's a remake of the original radio thing and a movie... I know.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh I won't see either, it was meant for the radio!!! hah

Anyway, lots of movies these days are remakes. Has everything been done? I was updating my DVD list ( http://www.mandic4x4.com/dvds.htm ) and realized that a lot of the movies I have are remakes. Heck, Brewster's Millions was remade I think like 3 times since the early 1900s. And the last one(with Richard Pryor, the one I own) is the one everyone seems to feel is the best. Mr. Deeds with Adam Sandler was a remake. I've never seen the original but his version was very good so I don't care much.

I don't care to see this movie, and knew that from the moment I saw the previews. Why? I saw Tom Cruise was the lead. He hasn't done anything I cared for in a while(except Collateral, that was alright).

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The orriginal "Mr Deeds Goes to Town", was a decent movie, but far from a classic. I guess im just of the mindset that certain movies shouldnt be touched, and this was one of them IMHO. Yes, it was meant for the radio, but the orriginal movie was still excellent.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I do agree, some things shouldn't be touched. Can't think off the top of my head but I know there have been recent films that mildly disgusted me.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

They were filming/filmed that movie in universal studios in LA when I was down there. Got to drive through the scene with a plane ripped apart and in pieces...along with a lot of damaged stuff.
    It was pretty neat to see.

9. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

So you got to see all the wreckage and rubble? Did you get to see the spotless mini-van amongst it? :haha: :haha:

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Did you see any Martians???? Martians with Death Rays killing and eating tourists would be cool.........

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

haha nope. No martians :haha:

12. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I saw it last night and thought it was awesome. I'm a big fan of the original and SS did an excellent job of remaking it without totally throwing out the original. I did have a few problems with it though.

A. If the Aliens had the power to bury the "tripods" millions of years ago, why didn't they just take over the planet millions of years ago?

My lame theory to explain it is that they didn't have the ship completed to get here yet and they shot the "tripods" at us so they could travel light to get here when it was done.

B. If an Alien race had the technology and intelligence to create the "tripods" and travel from even the nearest star, you'd think that they would have some kind of device that would test the air and water before they breathed and ate said water. Also, you'd think they'd have some kind of suit to where in an Alien to them environment.

I guess you should go into it thinking like somebody going in to see the original, in that you should kind of pretend you don't have any knowledge of space travel or advanced technology.

13. google

google 1/2 ton status

This movie is like star wars.... You just have to be into that. I am also a fan of the old War of the Worlds series. It was corny back then too, but it's a good story. I'll be seeing it.