Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on 1911 Carry Accessories

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 350350, Feb 19, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=652&CatalogID=2

I currently carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II Inside the Waistband Holster with a double magazine Inside the Waistband Holster on the opposite hip.

I've wanted to try carrying with a shoulder holster just to see if I like it better... I think I like this setup and the quality seems to be good. Looking for opinions. Anybody hear or know anything about this particular setup? By the looks of it I could wear it over my T-shirt and under my button-down. For $150 it ought to be good quality... I'd buy the hold-downs for both sides if I bought it...

I also need a set of these grips...

http://www.crimsontrace.com/lg_301.html

So many needs, so little cash... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I carry a 4" 1911 in a OWB bikini and it works fine with two t shirts

I used to carry clips on the other side wbut they were very blatant, still working on that

I used to carry a 6" heavy frame 44 magnum in a shoulder rig, it was surprisingly ok for a cheap system, but it got old wearing a open cover shirt and I hate tucking my shirt in soooooo

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I carry a 4" 1911 in a OWB bikini and it works fine with two t shirts

I used to carry clips on the other side wbut they were very blatant, still working on that

I used to carry a 6" heavy frame 44 magnum in a shoulder rig, it was surprisingly ok for a cheap system, but it got old wearing a open cover shirt and I hate tucking my shirt in soooooo

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an OWB bikini setup look like? My Waistband holster is just an inside the waist holster that is held in place by my normal belt with loops. I carry on my right hip, slightly around the rear edge of my hip so it's not obvious as you look directly at me when you face me yet it's not hard to reach. I'm happy with it and I can draw it easily, but like you said I can't conceal it wihout leaving an overshirt untucked. I'd like to be able to carry at work without anyone nocicing.

I have very little reason to believe I would ever need my gun where I work now, but it's just like a seatbelt... If you don't wear it every time, the one time you don't have it on is the one time you'll get killed for not using it. I worry far more about my trip to and from work than actully being at work...

However, at my last job, they were screwing people so bad and laying people off so frequently that they had armed plain clothes guards 'blending in' because they fully expected someone to come in shooting. They were really screwing people and telling lots of lies, laying people off right before their retirement, etc., so they had good reason to believe somebody might come in with guns blazing. My current job has none of that BS.

Anyway, fill me in on the bikini thing. Does the bikini thing have anything to do with the holster, or are they two completely separate issues??? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

I have the Jackass system for my beater S&W 5944 9mm that I leave in the truck. Works great and is very comfortable.

If you're not used to a shoulder holster, give it a week or so before you give up. Also, proper adjustment of the harness is critical. It takes some time but the results are worth it.

Good luck,

5. Resurrection_Joe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wear it outside on the old nylon belt, it hides well with a 3x over a 2x, but I'mma a fatty so your results may vary

I have no reason to carry a gun at all in a town of 1400 everyone has a shotgun within 5 feet anyway, but it's just like you said, you get used to it and there it is.

Bikini = Not a whole traditional holster

Try Here For Carry Tips For Big Guns

Here's Where I Got My Holster

Here's where I get info sometime

(they are very political and sometimes a bit, I don't know, fanatic in not a fun way)

Anywho

6. Resurrection_Joe

Oh here's some more

On the shoulder rig, if you want to just try it, I got a nyllon unit for $30 that was great when adjusted, I don't know if you want to dump $150 for a test rig that might end up in the infamous box of holsters

On the crimson trace grips, they're cool and all, and are more than a gimic and can really help, BUT, if you start to depend on them you may just loose some regular old skill

I don't have much regular old skill to begin with though so....

7. Resurrection_Joe

Oh and onother note, I've hung almost upside down on things for truck stuff and never had the gun dump with the belt tight, had it fall otu with the belt not done taking a leak though (at home when testing)

You can alwasy get a Bersa .380 load it with Corr Bon and throw it in you pocket

Oh another thing, my cell phone fits in my mag carrier, but I cut the cover straps off one day and I need to get a new one. When I do, Imma carry it out blatantly and put the phone in one side with the flap cut off and the other closed, 2 7rd GI mags and my phone, inconspicuous I think

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the Jackass system for my beater S&W 5944 9mm that I leave in the truck. Works great and is very comfortable.

If you're not used to a shoulder holster, give it a week or so before you give up. Also, proper adjustment of the harness is critical. It takes some time but the results are worth it.

Good luck,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a fairly big guy and with an XXL shirt I have a fair amount of extra room under my arms to hide a holster. Do you think I could carry the Jackass holster over my T-Shirt and under a slightly oversized button-down, tucked-in shirt without it being too obvious? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

I dunno how you're gonna tie down the bottoms of each side with a tucked in outer shirt, unless you run a belt around your chest

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dunno how you're gonna tie down the bottoms of each side with a tucked in outer shirt, unless you run a belt around your chest

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Got me on that one... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Resurrection_Joe

That was the big deal with me, I couldn't tuck in my first layer shirt, I actually considered slitting and sewing the sides, but that's a lot of work on a lot of shirts

Might look into this is quick access isn't a concern

http://www.gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm

12. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That was the big deal with me, I couldn't tuck in my first layer shirt, I actually considered slitting and sewing the sides, but that's a lot of work on a lot of shirts

[/ QUOTE ]

My Mom loves to sew stuff for me, so that might work... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ...

[ QUOTE ]
    Might look into this is

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked this out with the link you sent... Looks pretty good especially for the price. I might try this first to see if I like carrying under the arm before I spend the cash on a more expensive rig. I wonder though how the gun retention is compared to a good leather holster.

[ QUOTE ]
    quick access isn't a concern

http://www.gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I figure I'll be sacrificing access time with any shoulder holster I go with, since I'll have a shirt over it and tucked in. When I carry inside the waist band, I always have the shirt untucked over it. I practice my draw with moving the shirt as part of the draw motion. With a shoulder holster, I'd have to unbutton or rip buttons to get to it quick in a real situation. But still better than not having the gun at all I suppose...

13. Resurrection_Joe

Pocket gun man, pocket gun

I really want a Bersa .380, hell $230 bucks.....

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have two for my USP... Normally I carry it in a Fobus holster with the pancake style clip (so no belt). THen I have a custom horizontal that requires no tie downs, and I have a vertical that uses the belt to clip to. I like the vertical, it fits me better and hides VERY well. THe horizontal since I'm a bigger guy the butt tends to stick out a bit, looking like a third nipple. I also like the belt style pancake holster.

horizontal like this
    [​IMG]

vertical
    [​IMG]

the pancake I have is similar to this... BUT it has slots instead of clipover type mounts
    [​IMG]

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually wear baggy pants, so my ideal is an ankle holster for 3 hicap mags on the back of my left ankle....sssshhhhhh dont tell anyone /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18in the hole and 45 on the back of your ankle makes you feel pretty safe /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually wear baggy pants, so my ideal is an ankle holster for 3 hicap mags on the back of my left ankle....sssshhhhhh dont tell anyone /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18in the hole and 45 on the back of your ankle makes you feel pretty safe /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again and again...

"Some call it Paranoid... I call it Paying Attention."

Some guys ask me why I think I'll ever need three full magazines on me at any given time when most real world encounters end with only a few shots fired. I tell them that I'd hate to be remembered as "That Guy that Almost saved his family but then ran out of ammo and got slaughtered."

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. Resurrection_Joe

I have constant dreams, at least 4 a week about my gun jamming, freaky eh?

I'd like to get a CZ75 just for the lotsofammo quality

18. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy has a CZ75B... If I had to have a gun that was not a HK or Kimber it would probley be the CZ75b. And hell at $15-25 a mag for highcaps, I'll take a dozon /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I have that same dream all the time! I'm always in a bad situation and the damn gun jams! I always have to go to the range and fire a few rounds to get my confidence back... Donno why I have that dream. My gun never jams...

20. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pocket gun man, pocket gun

I really want a Bersa .380, hell $230 bucks.....

[/ QUOTE ]

If I wear baggy cargo pants, I can carry my Kimber in a front pocket...

What worries me though is the stopping power. I chose a .45 for a carry weapon because it was a big round in a relatively small hand package. From what I've read, in a real incident, even a .45 round may not stop an attacker cold in his tracks. I carry hydrashocks on me and in the vehicles, so I've got about as much stopping power as a person can have in a weapon designed to be carried, but still you never know. With a .38 or smaller round I donno that I'd feel confident that I could drop somebody, especially with only six rounds and the difference in reload time versus popping another clip in my .45...

I'm no expert on guns by any means, but it's all stuff I read when I was researching before I picked out a carry weapon... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif