Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on 35-spline stubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masher, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Well after my first trip to the badlands a couple weeks I ago I came back with a broken rear driveshaft, a broken front hub and snapped front stub. Do Warn hubs have any kind of warranty on them? They are the 'regular' ones not the premiums. I am thinking of upgrading to 35-spline stubs in my HP D60. Is it a good idea to do that while still keeping the stock inner shafts?? I don't really have the money to upgrade the inners too. Is it worthwhile to just do the stubs or will the inners become the weak link and then those will snap??

Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it see's the road a lot then I wouldnt put slugs in there. If its a mostly trail rig then slugs are the way to go.

3. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I'm not really asking about slugs. I am wondering about 35-spline stubs while still using the stock inners. If going to new stubs I would buy new Warn premiums.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The inners are already 35 spline I know several on here have upgraded the stubs to 35 without touching the inners. If money is no option go supierior inner and outers:D

Ira

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am assuming since you say HP 60 it is a Ford.
    I would install yukon 35 spline stubs and use lockouts for the street. Try the teraflex hubs out as well they seem to work well.

Here is ORD's site link.
    http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60frontaxleparts.htm

Other places have the same stuff this is just a starting point

6. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Since nobody really answered your question the answer is yes, the stock inners will become the weak link. The Warn stubs are 4340 chromemoly and will be considerably stronger than the stock shafts which are probably 1048 medium carbon steel. Also, remember that as you turn the wheels the amount of torque applied to the inner shafts increases for a given amount transferred to the outer shafts. I would imagine that the u-joints and inner shafts would race each other to oblivion. Unless of course you take it easy when you drive :D

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I would upgrade the outers now, since they are obviously broken and need upgraded, and worry about the rest later. You can spend years trying to think 10 steps ahead and all you end up with is a rig in the garage on jackstands.

8. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Here is what I did. I replaced the outers with 30 spline 4130. Here was my thinking.
    I didn't want slugs since my truck is on the road often.
    I didn't want 35 spline hubs since they are weak ( and expensive)
    By using 30 spline, the outers are strong AND I have spares in the form of the stock ones...Plus I can still use the hubs I got.

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Warn doesnt make shafts for a d60. he is talking about a 60 not a d44/10b:D

As for the question. I went to 35 spline with stock inners. As long as you dont have the kneck down inners they will be plenty for what normal people put them through.

I have beat the snot out of my truck and the Spicers shafts are holding up fine.......so far:D

10. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies, but now I have a couple more questions? Are Warn Premium 35-spline hubs actually weaker than the 30-spline ones?? I have seen them for about the same price so that's not an issue. If I were to stick with 30-spline outers where did you find the 4130 ones?

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I seen guys beat the snot out of 35 spline Warn Premiums with no problems and some guys have broke them. My wife smashed a 30 spline one at Carlisle so I guess anything is possible. :crazy: Untill mine becomes trail only I plan to stay away from slugs.

12. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

So how'd you like badlands? I've been there a few times. I've got 35 spline shafts in my 60 but the axle is not yet in the truck. It doesn't have hubs but im thinking of going with drive flanges, its trail only and the guy I bought my D60 off of is a machinist and he said he'd make a pair if I decided to go that route.

13. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

The 35 spline hubs have less material in them (to accomadate the larger shaft). Some threads on here wrote they liked that becasue it meant the weakest part of the assembly was the easiest to get to, i.e. the hub. In theory, the weakest part of my setup is the U-Joints, and if those go, well...dang....With that said, i read that the 4130 30 splines are as strong as the non-4130 35 spline, so I figured it made sense since I do NOT want to run drive flanges on a locked D60 that drives ont eh street...I got my 4130 30 spline outers from a vendor on here...I am pretty sure it was NOWPARTS.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yukon makes the 30-spline chromoly shafts.

For your original question, if you have the non-neckdown inner shafts I would have no problems upgrading to either the 30-spline chromo or 35-spline "normal" steel or chromo stubs. For the strength of the stubs, keep in mind that even for the same diameter and spline count shaft it typically has a lower, and hence weaker, torque capacity. Meaning that the much longer inner shafts are stronger (again, assuming same material and diameter).

If you have necked down inner shafts I would go ahead and replace those. From my experience they can break sooner then a stock 30-spline stub.

15. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm trying to get my broken hub replaced under warranty. If that happens I'll probably buy the 4130 30-spline and get it fixed up pretty cheap.

As for the Badlands that place is pretty cool. Although I only got to wheel for about 4 hours before all this happened. It's the first time I really had my truck in any real rocks and it did great. It was climbing everything I pointed it at except for the last one. I was by the purgatory sign in the quarry and got a little cocky and gave it too much go pedal and SNAP. Once I get the truck back together we are planning a trip back.

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im running 35spline outers with warn premos, no problems thus far.if it didnt see much street it would have slugs

17. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

The first day I had my 60 I took it out for a little test run. I had the Mile Marker 30 spl. hubs and stock outers and I spit you not i put my pass tire on a mound about the size of a large curb and SANP!! hub is gone. (note to self----NEVER BUY MILEMARKER HUBS----EVER.) since then I sold my one good hub and outers togather to someone one here and bought the factory 35 spl outers and Warn Premo hubs and have had absolutley NO problem. had them about 4 years or so on 42's a pop right and hydro asst. the pop rite regularly lets me know its still there in the most in opportune time. i tore down the axle a couple weeks ago and everything is still in tact.