Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on a 5.3l LS series engine swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Jun 30, 2006.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

Im currently having to replace my transmission, transfercase and drive shafts due to a u-jiont failing at 75mph, and have always wanted a motor upgrade...so now seems better then ever.

I wanted a diesel, but 7.3 is to heavy, cummins is way to $$$ and the 6.5 and 6.2 are "junk" according to 90% of the people i talk to :confused: I am a die hard Lt1 and Ls1 fan, i know the lt1 better then my wife, but having just moved to NM, i dont know anyone and have not been able to locate one via club members. And aparantly the junkyards here think the LT1 is made from gold, wanting about 3 times the going rate....
    So anyway, seems i can pick up a low mile 5.3l LS series complete from yard here out of 2000-2004 chevy siverados for about 1500 bux....

what do yall think about them?
    295hp/335tq and decent MPG
    think the swap will be hard?
    Will the belhousing match up from a 700r4?

I think the worst part might be fabbing up new motor mounts, hooking up the cable to the tranny, and putting in the right fuel pump

Opinions? other options?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Gen III engines have been swapped more than once into K5s. Ryan B has a LQ4(6.0L) engine in a Blazer and his K20(or 30 I forget) tow rig. More power around have them. I love the Gen III motors myself. I am actively searching for a 6.0L to drop in our 69 Firebird.

Anyway, you will definetally need a pump capable of supplying that much fuel. Bellhousing? I forget that answer really. It won't be the simplest swap ever but not some major pain. The crossmember underneath the engine has to be modified, well replaced actually.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup, i slammed a 6.0L in both my K5 and my K30.
    The frame and firewall can get in the way. along with the wiring and computer issues also. :crazy:
    5.3's are pretty cool. if you want the extra power fork over more dough for a 6.0L. :thumb:
    The harness and computer reprogramming can be tricky. Most guys buy a new harness, i rework my own from now on.
    We are currently doing 4 different gen III engine swaps right now. a 5.3 into a 56 chevy. :thumb:

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup, i slammed a 6.0L in both my K5 and my K30.
    The frame and firewall can get in the way. along with the wiring and computer issues also. :crazy:
    5.3's are pretty cool. if you want the extra power fork over more dough for a 6.0L. :thumb:
    The harness and computer reprogramming can be tricky. Most guys buy a new harness, i rework my own from now on.
    We are currently doing a couple different gen III engine swaps right now. a 5.3 into a '56 chevy. :thumb: