Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on a driveline choice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Jan 26, 2004.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Hey I finally have the funds to support a rear 1 ton cv ! but now my decision is wether or not to spend the extra $340 on the SYE kit and $100 on the flange and get rid of the long snout on the 241 and have a slip shaft or just get a slip yoke and say its 'good enough' and buy a set of Thorleys with the remainder.

Decisions decisions decisions.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I would get the SYE kit, it saves a lot of the hassle if you break a shaft. Instead of rigging up a Coke bottle and some Duct tape to get home /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I see you only have a 4" kit and I bet your angles aren't bad at all. I would just have a 1 ton cv shaft made and leave the slip yoke. That is exactly what I am going to do very soon and I have more like 7" of lift. I would spend the extra money on the headers.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would do the SYE, without question.

5. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

With the shackle flip the working angle of
    each joint right now is about 15*. I beleive with a slip yoke shaft I figured the cv joint to be a little below 15* but of course the pinion angle would be like 2*.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Wasn't there something about swapping the fixed-yoke business off a Dodge NP241??? If so, all you'd need it a t-case core.... usually $100 or so /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I was reading about that on PBB cause the search feature here is limited /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif From what I could see ...everything in the case is transferable from the Dodge _except_ the yoke shaft... something about how the shift mechanism lines up... beleive me if theres a buck to save I'm all for it...

I was thinkingof taking the shaft off from my junk 1 ton duelly out back and having the local shop add a cv w/slipyoke to the end of it. But then I figured how much I was going to spend doing that I decided to go new.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would get the SYE kit, it saves a lot of the hassle if you break a shaft. Instead of rigging up a Coke bottle and some Duct tape to get home /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I went with a slip yoke thinking the same thing and was way more of a hassle then it was worth. Broke the shaft... never was 100% satisfied with the ride quality, do it once and forget about it with the SYE and beefy shaft /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

slip yokes are the devil.

j

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    slip yokes are the devil.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much sums up my opinion in one sentence.

11. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

experiences....
    A friend of mine on this board, wheels his 700r4/241 combo hard with 40's. And has never had a problem. this same truck broke the hydro assist ram shaft in half and broke rock slider brackets. but the slip yoke is fine.

I personally, havn't had any problems with my 208 slipyoke. I just spent 175 on a rebuilt/cut/balanced cadillac CV shaft for the rear of my truck. It's a 1330 sized CV and looks very beefy. I have a 6.5 inch lift and my rear axle has moved perchs on it to change the pinion angle.

With your 4 inch, a normal shaft should work great, but go for a CV if you wish, It might ride smoother with less vibes.

Blake

12. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey I finally have the funds to support a rear 1 ton cv ! but now my decision is wether or not to spend the extra $340 on the SYE kit and $100 on the flange and get rid of the long snout on the 241 and have a slip shaft or just get a slip yoke and say its 'good enough' and buy a set of Thorleys with the remainder.

Decisions decisions decisions.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Go SYE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It was the best decision I made for my 241 setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Replace your seals and bearings while you're in there too.
    Kit with all the parts is available from JB Conversions.