Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on a good portable MP3 player

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Dec 6, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm looking for a portable MP3 player to buy my wife for x-mas. Need something that I can load at least 1 hours worth of music on and isn't terribly expensive (is there such a thing?). The smaller the better. Something she can use on her hour+ bike rides and workout sessions

thanks
    Bryan

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lets see
    average mp3 is recorded at 128kbps...average length of most songs is 3 minutes...so your averare song is going to be around 3 megs. So for an hour of music, you need an mp3 player to store roughly 60 megs. Im not sure of your budget...so we will pretend its low(i know mine always is)

Nomad Jukebox Has 10GB of storage /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Only 142$

But you said something small...soo

here is a store with super low prices and a few different styles to choose from...most are sub 150$

But you need to look for a player with atleast 64mb of memory for an hour of music

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those jukebox players are sweet. They will pretty much store your entire CD collection. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

When I worked for Compaq, one of the design teams there came up with the jukebox idea and even built a few prototypes. This was when MP3's and personal players were just becoming popular. I'm sure that it would have been a huge hit in the market, but the powers that be decided that it wasn't something that Compaq wanted to sell. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They ended up selling the rights to manufacture it to a Korean company called Hango. Compaq could have made a bunch of bucks selling that thing at that time, as most MP3 players at the time had 32 or 64 MB of memory. Instead, they sold the rights into obscurity... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It's amazing what a room full of overeducated senior managers decide sometimes... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The jukebox concept is really slick. The songs are actually stored on a tiny hard drive. To conserve the batteries, there is also onboard memory which gets loaded from the hard drive. Once about every 10 minutes, the drive spins up and loads the memory with more song data. Then it shuts back down (hard drives consume WAY more power than memory chips) and the music is played from the memory chips until they request a "refill". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I was blown away when I saw the prototype pics and read the specs of the one at Compaq. As a stock owner I was pretty disappointed that they decided not to sell 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

*/* hijack mode ON *\*

While we're discussing them, anyone using the Apple iPod for Windows? I'm very seriously considering the 20GB model...

*/* hijack mode OFF *\*

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well I have an iPod, but it's for my Mac not windows. You can get the same software that the Mac's use now for windows too.

Personally I love mine, I got the 10G right before the style change, so mines an older model. It works great plus I like the ability to keep my phone book and calender on it as well. The newer ones are lighter and a bit smaller than mine, have better backlighting and a few more games as well. The price seems to be the only drawback to them. But they are by far the toughest ones I know of. I had mine in my mixer when I rolled and it still works with out a single problem.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Ive got a nomad II and I love it. It uses a sim card so you can goto 128mb and I forget whats its got internal. Ive dropped it a bunch and it still works great. I think its got a 32mb card and its got around 25 songs on it.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I just got this Memorex and tried it out at the gym today. So far so good. It has 128mb of storage standard and allows the addition of an SD flash memory card. I have about 30 songs loaded on it. The only thing I don't like is the ear-bud headphones, but that is because I have big ears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif and they don't fit very well. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Pretty good player for the money, IMO.