Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on brakes for my 14 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KevinsK5, Sep 3, 2006.

1. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I pulled the drums off my junkyard 14 bolt today to see what the brakes looked like, to see if they were useable. They're not, both drums are scored real deep on both sides. I think turning is out of the question.

So I made a call to napa, and new drums (11") are $117 each plus new shoes and hub seals. I remember seeing a 14BFF disc kit on E-bay for $299 without an e-brake. I'd like to keep my drums to have an e-brake, but I don't want to wipe out new drums with sand and water. I'd like to have discs in back for good stopping power and self drying/cleaning, but no e-brake might suck.

Both options have one big pro and one big con. I'll say my budget is $300 either way. What do you think? Thanks, Kevin

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would do a disc swap. Rotors are $50.00 each, disc brackets you can get for $50.00 and the calipers are what will cost the most if you want to retain an e-brake. Not sure on caliper pricing but somewhere around $75.00 each with a core

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Caddy Eldorado rear calipers for Parking Brake. Year 78-79? Look in the vendors forum for disc brake adaptors. One of them will certainly have the info you need. I'm sure you can get 'em for less than $300. Probably could go with slotted discs and still be under $300;)

4. 4X4HIGH

Caddy eldo calipers are 76-78 only.

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Quick check with JC Whitney shows 78 rear Caddy Eldos at $113ea for rebuilt:rolleyes: Looks like junkyard would be best bet.

6. 4X4HIGH

Good luck finding any.

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

If you are interested in finding those Caddy Calipers I can have my local wrecking yard buddy check for you. Let me know and I can do it on Tuesday if you want the help. PM me today or tomorrow.

8. 4X4HIGH

There is a pair for sale in the for sale forum right now.

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

depending on your transfer case you can get an e-brake that is mounted on there. I bought plans for the brackets on e-bay for $8 plus shipping. I made several sets of brackets at once if you need a set. I run dana 44 calipers without a parking brake. I'm offorad only though.

10. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

don't even bother with the caddy calipers. tried 'em and they sucked.
    either keep your drums or go with some 10b/d44 calipers and a driveline brake.

11. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I am almost done with the disc swap and used 79-85 caddy calipers with e-brake. They're hard to find new, but wrecking yards have them pretty cheap.

I like the TSM kit, it was really well made.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

What's the difference between 76-78 vs 79-85?

13. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The older ones fit larger discs I believe. The disc in the rear of cars are usually smaller since they don't do as much work.

14. KevinsK5

I'd be very interested in going that route, but I'll have to do some searches on it unless one of you wants to learn me all about that style e-brake. I know nothing about them as of right now. I'm using a fixed yoke 205 in my truck. Thanks, Kevin

15. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe that High angle Driveline makes a E-brake for the 205.

16. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Here's what HAD has to offer. http://www.highangledriveline.com/e_brake.html

I'm in about the same boat myself right now. I'm building the 14bff for my Suburban and want disc brakes but really don't want to lose the emergency/parking brake. I haven't heard good things about the Caddy calipers and I have a 241 (for now) with the slip yoke so I can't use the driveline brake without some other good-sized mods.

I really haven't done any searches here or anywhere else for the driveline brake so I can't help much. Good luck with it.

Jason

17. KevinsK5

Ditto. I checked that link out (thanks), and that route sounds very appealing right now. Though it will prolly be 4-5 bills when all done, I would imagine it'll pay for itself the first time I need it. But for right now, it's just one more thing that reuires $400 to make my project functional. I'm sick of throwing money at this truck, at least for a while. Thanks, Kevin

18. 1crzy88

1crzy88 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind me cutting in... just do the disc conversion, (i rec sky's $95 for the brackets. ) i love mine) and do the e-break later when you have more $$, i ve been running no- e break for almost two years now with great luck. in the prosess of the 205 w/ drive e-break. i was in your same boat with the $$$. But you should do the disc swap, you'll thnak yourself later.

T