Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on Crate Engines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Jan 20, 2004.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Just planning ahead. What crate engine would you all recommend for an 89 with 4.88 gears and 38's. I am looking for reasonable power (250-300 HP) and durability. Of course, I would love a Ram Jet 350, but its not in the budget. I was leaning toward a GM crate, but a mechanic buddy of mine really likes Jasper Engines. Does anyone have experience with Jasper engines? I know they make a fine NASCAR engine, but thats not what I am in the market for. Penny for your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Ive owned a couple of GM crate engines.
    Hard to beat for the price.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i got the GM Goodwrench engine (285hp IIRC)

happy with it. underpowered for the weight of the rig, but that is what gearing is for, and I've not been able to get mine tuned right. once i spend a weekend on it, it'll be great.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What kind of warranty do the Jasper engines have? IIRC, the crate engines have a 3 year - 36,000 mile warranty?!?

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In the mechanical shop I worked in...
    we used tons of those Jasper Engines..
    and had NO problems...

I have a GM zz4 that I bought in 99'..
    I've beat the crap outta that motor..
    It still screams!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the truck 383 looks pretty sweet.. thats what i'd be looking at...

we used to alot, and still do on occasion use Jasper's for our marine apps at work.. mostly good to say, the 350's where usually rock solid.. but we did get a couple of 440's done by them that grenaded in about 10 hrs.. their fault and they warranteed them... i think alot has to do with the Jasper in your area, might wanna check out their local reputation...

my .02

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I've got the base model GM crate 350 motor in my Jimmy and I haven't had no problems or power issues! Great motor!
    Bill

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

9. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is what I would get. http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=120&pid=117

I believe Mudzer has a Jasper motor in his K5.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If he could afford that, he could probably buy the Ram Jet 350 possibly. I think from reading his post, He is looking for something under $3000.00 probably around $2000.00.............Dunno though cause he didn't specify a price range /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif! Although I liked that motor too , But can't afford it either /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif!
    Bill

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the brand new $1300 motor is the best value. I might consider one if my current engine ever quits.

I am thinking about doing my top end next summer or fall and then building a short block in the future too. That's one other way that if your engine isn't worn out you can do quickly.

11. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

A few years ago I bought a new chevy "m" sieries motor for my 1ton 9000lbs work truck .The motor was suppose to be heavy duty with stronger bearings and a low end cam for towing .I put aprox 30,000 miles on it and it ran like a top...I think I payed 1800.00 for it 5 years ago ..

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are planing to keep your TBI. Make sure you get an engine built to run with TBI.
    Not very many crate performance engines will run with TBI without getting some chip work done and a larger TB.

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I bought the 454 H.O. crate engine from chevy.
    Great motor,be sure to pull the pan on any crate motor as I found out the hard way,,,there was cardboard and plastic wrapping material in the pan,,,no oil pressure upon start up.

14. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks gang. I know I was not very specific on price range, but someone nailed it, Im not looking to spend more than $2500 ish. Id love the Ram Jet, or similar setup, but looking for more bang for the buck. I appreciate all of your comments, I'll probably just go GM to avoid any problems. I just didnt get enough feedback on Jasper to overrule the General. Thanks again.

15. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i got the GM Goodwrench engine (285hp IIRC)

happy with it. underpowered for the weight of the rig, but that is what gearing is for, and I've not been able to get mine tuned right. once i spend a weekend on it, it'll be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

rated at 260. which is a total joke. probably about 300hp right out of the box, stock manifold and carb. I got one. with 3.73s making a right turn i can light the tires up and cut it sideways NO problem at all. that's with 39x18" tires. . . tons of low end too! my carb coughs with the secondaries and it feels like a small shot of nitrous. i CANNOT wait to put in roller rockers, aluminum intake, edelbrock carb, and a 268HE cam.

16. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I ahve used jasper engines. No probs with them. but, I would lean towards the GM crate engines. better warranty.
    I have bought engines from Scoggin dickey also. great service. I used to buy LS7 crate engines(when they still had them!) Got great deals. Cheaper shipped from them than the discounts we got at GM!
    how about this one

or stock, use the money you save on some performance upgrades
    stock reman

17. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I have the 1300$ 260 hp 350 ftlbs, 3 yr 50k mile warrenty engine. I have about 4k on it now and besides it finishing off my trans I love it. I never would have thought 260 hp would spin 35s though 308 gears. IF you want the tbi then go with the sdpc tbi motor.

18. 2bhntn

2bhntn Registered Member

I have a Jasper rebuild. All their engines are built in Indiana. They don't have local rebuilders that I know of. Here is there webpage http://jasperengines.com/ . Warrenty on my 5.6 was 75,000/3years. Runs great, put approx 50,000 on it by now. Also put a Jasper rebuild in my old Ford Ranger 4x4. It had 120,000 miles plus when I sold it and it still ran great. I spent close to 2500$ with new distributer, water pump, hoses, belts, plugs and wires, etc.

Good luck

19. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i got a 3.4 crate in my s15 , 15,000 miles and still
    going good.

20. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IF you want the tbi then go with the sdpc tbi motor.

[/ QUOTE ]
    what does sdpc mean?