Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on Diesel Blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by marv_springer, Sep 28, 2001.

1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Aug 3, 2001
    Thinking about starting with a 6.2 Blazer for my next "Daily Driver / Weekend Wheeler" project. What are general opinions on these trucks? Are there good / bad years? What kind of mileage could be expected with 35" tires? Got enough power to tow now and then?

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Apr 20, 2001
    My dad had an 84 Sub with a 6.2.He was very happy with it.We put 200k+ miles on it .It got ok milage and could pull good but it was a dog goin up big hills.It was stolen and crashed in a high speed chase and that was the end of it.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>
  3. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Feb 7, 2001
    I really like having my '82 6.2L It has never had anything major wrong with it, just fuel filters and oil filters. Some of the parts are expensive but i don't mind cuz i buy a part that has a lifetime warrenty and then I never have to pay again. Mine has been very reliable. Just now having a starting problem but I think it may be wires but it is 19 yrs old. They are very good and I enjoy having mine. sorry it is so long.
    check it out at my web site! sign the guest book.

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>
  4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    I think they're a great choice for about anything that doesn't need a lot of horsepower.
    Look for a HD version of the diesel, motor code is "J", they were rated at 150 horse, wahoo! A turbo should be in the plan I think.
    Jim Allen's K5 ended up at about 380 lb-ft of torque, not sure of the horses. That was on a dyno in Denver, that's with the turbo kit.
    He was getting about 16-18 miles to the gallon at highway speed, of course the slower the better. That's with the TH700, Doubler, 4.10 gears and 35's.

Otherwise, you get a fuel injected motor with lots of torque, most come with a TH700 and the rest is standard K5 stuff.

With a turbo, towing would be fine, they have output numbers like a healthy smallblock.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>
  5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Jul 26, 2000
    I am convinced that diesels are the truck powerplants of the future. My favorite thing to put in the front of my K-5 right now would be the big new Chevy Diesel with the Allison.

No one will ever tell you that the Chevy 6.2 is the best diesel ever, but I think that a diesel rig is actually the way to go. While the power numbers are low, the low end torque is superior to a gas 350. They were actually part of some of the "towing packages". You can pull somebody out of the ditch with one of these rattlers without even feeling the slack come out of the chain. The 6.2 gives nearly double the gas mileage of the 350 and that is the reason that they are good. In fact, if you look at your driving habits, you may find that having the diesel between the fenders will afford you about $2k worth of extra mods for the rig every year. That takes care of the turbo the first year.

-Usually sell cheap
    -Great gas mileage (better than you will ever get with a super efficient, high-buck TPI or whatever gas engine)
    -No distributor to get wet on the trail
    -No carb to sputter at funny angles or require tuning. In fact, they will virtually never stall except for water in the fuel.
    -Come stock with dual batteries.
    -No need to turn it off while fueling. In the winter, the block holds heat in a lot longer while not running. Idles all night on 1/2gallon of fuel
    -Did I mention great mileage?

-Requires warm-up time before driving in cold weather (mostly because of the Al heads on the Fe block)
    -Smells bad (but mostly just to the people behind you)
    -Noisy (but if you like a loud engine, just put Flowmasters on it and it will sound kind of like a gas engine!)
    -Glow plugs/thermostat system requires regular maintainance or you will never get it started in cold weather.
    -High torque tends to break the TH700. Auxillary cooler is a must.
    -Have a greater tendency to blow head gaskets (Due in part to the 18:1 compression)
    -Parts not quite as common, but still a lot of them around.

Do a search for some other threads on the Diesels, where a lot of other good information if presented.

<font color=green>Does a Dyslexic Insomniac Athiest lay awake at night wondering if there's really a Dog?</font color=green>
  6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Jan 16, 2001
    I love my 6.2 in the pickup, it's a powerhouse!! You'll definitely want some kind of a turbo for it - it's just not that impressive when naturally aspirated.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>