Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinions on engine build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Oct 19, 2005
    My 79 still has the stock engine in it, 88,000 miles. The time has come for some new parts, mainly gaskets and valve seals, but like everything else one thing leads to another.

What I was thinking was....
    stock bottom end-
    vortec heads-
    edelbrock air gap intake-
    comp cam hydraulic flat tappet-

I use this thing as a DD and I need some more power, but with decent gas mileage. Right now the thing sucks gas, but the way I see it is that if it's gonna suck gas it should do it with some power being put out.

The main question I had is what cam part number do most people go with?
    I was looking at the xtreme energy 12-238-2
    or the xtreme 4x4 12-239-3

I want a mild idle with good response and good torque range.
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Not bothering to look at the cam specs, anything higher than .450" lift and you'll probably need work done to them...as always, I'd look to the aftermarket if you want good heads.

My opinion on the Edelbrock air gap is that it's a high dollar gimmick for most applications. The one independent test I saw showed almost no gain over another intake without the "air gap". For racing, every bit counts, when talking bang for buck, that isn't it. Again, that's my opinion, if you've got the cash to spend, great, but my money is on the best heads possible, with a "standard" dual plane edelbrock.

I'm sure I'll hear about that one some, all I ask is for some independent dyno numbers that apply to low end power production instead of seat of the pants.
  3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

May 27, 2005
    Go to Comp Cams websight or give them a call. They ask like 50 questions about your motor, vehicle, intended use, etc. and will tell you which cam to get. All this for FREE!! Vortec heads can make some decent power. I run a RPM Air Gap on my 383. Tho most applications could just use the regular RPM manifold.
    I would suggest replacing the bottom end to go 383. :D That extra 1/4 inch of stroke over the 350 makes alot more low end torque. Theres many Vortec headed 383's putting out 450-460 pounds of torque that redline under 5000 RPM. :eek1:
  4. Mat Boardway

Mat Boardway Registered Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Don't forget to check out professional products intakes. Good prices and decide results on the dyno.