Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on F/I small block crate motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leper, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Give me your opinion on which motor you would go with. If you were going to spend 6K on an engine, what would it be? Ramjet 350? ZZ383 and add FI? Modify the current motor? Put a TPI on a reman 400? What motors have you seen/used. I feel that my truck is a little lacking in the power department with it's stock TBI 350. I know I can swap to TPI and/or put a stroke kit in it, but I value your opinions. What is your advice? Links are appreciated.

BTW...I am not going to put a big block in it.

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

383 stroker for awesome amounts of torque.
    Ramjet 350 is damn nice, but would rather find it with a 4bolt main.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably the 6L like Ryan B has done. :)

4. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depending on the amount of money you have I would build a 406 small block and put an aftermarket fuel injection kit on it but I am guessing this would be around $6000 mabey more after it was all done. Hard to beat crate motors

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

7. matto

matto Registered Member

it all depends pn what you are using it for. if it is a wheeling motor i would go wiht the 383 because that is a torque monster. but the 350 ram jet is an all around great motor. but the power is alot higher in the rpm range. i would F/I a 383 and have an awsome motor.

matt

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

$8830 at summit racing. :yikes:
    Perhaps it's cheaper somewhere else? Probably not $2800 cheaper. I little pricy if you ask me.

Summit Racing

I've been contiplating what to do for a motor in my truck. I go back and forth between crate 383, gm crate FI and a few other options I definatly want FI. RIght now I'm leaning towards a HT383 crate and Accell DFI for fuel injeciton. The accell kit is very nice, completely programmable for any parts you may put on your engine. My biggest problem with the GM FI injection is, just likea stock car, once you change any component out, the FI programming is now off and since it's not programable (easily) your motor is locked into the components it came with. Of course the advatage to GM FI is it's ready to go out of the box. If they made the crate HT383 with an FI, I would probably get it. I think the ZZ350 fi one is a high revver and not optimized for 4x4 usage. So, IMHO, I think the motor of your choice plus Accell DFI is the best bet.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

382 FT LBS....PRETTY SWEET. another $400 to do the mods to get to that 318/382 number,(hopefully), so about 2500.00. Cheap enough, but What could I do with a 400? A TPI setup from a 350 will work on a 400, correct?

I just heard some commercial for the new caddy making all kinds of power and it has a 6ole(trans) I'm sure that would be a cheap way to go. lol