Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on future of 88 2500 burban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Puckett, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Puckett

Puckett Registered Member

I got a great deal on an 88 GMC 2500 4x4 suburban, and now I was wanting some insight on what is available for this truck. I am mostly in toyotas so I'm unfamiliar with the GM stuff.

It's specs out as follows:
    TBI 350
    TH400
    NP241
    10 bolt (7.5) front with manual hubs
    14 bolt (9.5) rear semi floating

The body is pretty rough, interior very bad, rear passenger door glass is broken, the tailgate style door is trashed and no glass, it runs and drives very well though.

Now the engine and tranny I know, but the 241 tranfer case and the two axles I'm real unfamiliar with. Are these worth building up for rock crawling under a toyota? I was always looking for dana 44s with an 8.5" ring but this 10 bolt has a 7.5" ring, so I don't know if it will suffice.

Ways to go:

These axles under a tojo with 40 inch tires or so if they can handle it. Or...

Gut the interior carpet/plastic, use bedliner and replace the rear tailgate and glass and use for a work truck

Make this suburban an offroader - but I am not sure what this drivetrain can handle with the overall weight of the truck and horsepower of a v-8.

Suggestions, and info about the transfer case and axles please?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, that has the 8.5 10 bolt front, which is pretty much the same strength-wise as a D44. Tranny and t-case will be fine, just make sure to have a good skidplate on the t-case.

Since the body is already rough, wheel the hell out of it with a set of 35's.

3. Puckett

It's good to know it has the 8.5" ring. Going by the pics under the axle ident. page it looked like a 7.5 housing.

4. Puckett

Correcting a mistake on the original post, i found from an orginal 88 dealer catalog that the 89s had the 241, the 88 is a 208 transfer case.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, they do look similar. The front and rear utilize the same carrier and gears, but the front housing has a little extra beef built in to better distribute the load of the spring perch that is machined in. The 7.5 was only used in S-trucks. All you will find in the 73-87 genre trucks are 10 bolt (front and rear), 12-bolt (rear), D44 & D60 (both front), 14 bolt (semi- and full-float), and a D70 (rear).

Haha, just caught that myself...

6. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

It doesn't have overdrive? I would have guessed that anything wTBI would have an electonically controlled tranny also.Hmm.

7. Puckett

No, it has the th400 3 speed auto.

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

it is possible to have a 241 in it, 88 was the transition year, either 208 or 241.