Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on Gear Vendor overdrive vs. 700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, so here is the deal. Picked up a 76 Blazer that has a TH350/NP205 w/ a Gear Vendor overdrive installed. Suspension is stock at this point. But, I have 6" of lift going on at some point with the D60 and Corp14ff that will be installed. I was a bit worried that the rear driveshaft was going to be rather short, with the extra length of the GV OD. So, I was toying with swapping in a Bowtie OD 700r4, leaving the NP205, and dumping the GV OD. Then it dawns on me, those who have gone with the doubler setup (NP203/NP205) must've added some length onto the rear of their tranny as well. And as a result also shortend their driveshafts too.

So, here is the question. What does it matter then if I keep the GV unit? Isn't it about the same length as someone with a doubler? And, if I do 6" of lift, won't I be lengthening the distance between the rear end and the GV output anyway? I was thinking a High Angle driveline with a double cardan anyway to help with the angles. Opinions? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ahh....you need a 700r4, I'll trade you for the Gearvendors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

How much length does it add?
    I don't think you will have much problem because
    a) You don't have the wheelbase of a Jeep
    b) You have a fixed yoke (on second thought is it a fixed yoke?)
    c) You plan on getting a nice shaft and getting the angles right anyway.

If you do anything I would just ditch the GV OD and keep the th350. If you really still want a hwy gear just go with a doubler and some suckey axle gears (like 3.08's).

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

KEEP IT, or trade me too....

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What do you plan to do with the truck? The Gear Vendors unit is awesome for towing. On those long hills where 3rd gear is too tall and 2nd gear is too short, running in 2nd with the overdrive is just what you need. That's the neat thing about the GV overdrive. You can "overdrive" any gear that you want to. With a 700R4 you only have overdrive in 4th gear.

The GV overdrive can basically turn your Turbo 350 into a 6-speed automatic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

The overall length is about 20" or so. I haven't driven it much yet, but when I have, I have been pretty happy with the way it runs. It does shift pretty harsh when it kicks in the OD, and especially when disengaging. But I understand that is pretty normal for a GV unit. The guy who had it before me was really into towing. He has added just about everything to this rig. He put on an intermittent wiper control, freeze alert, another temp guage, a top of the line Cobra CB, and a vacuum guage, which I can't figure out why he needed it. He swapped in an Edelbrock Q-jet and Edelbrock intake. But, I don't think the secondaries are kicking in because when I stomp the gas, no changes. He also put on an oil cooler, transmission cooler, and power steering cooler along with a HD radiator and dual batteries. It was a good find.

The plan for usage is general off roading. I don't rock crawl. I spend most of my wheeling out in the Nevada desert. This entails hill climbing, trail running, stream crossing, some canyon crawling. I have a 6" TC lift that is going on w/ ORD shackle reversal, the Corp14ff and D60, w/ 35 MTR's. I will eventually swap out the Ramsey hidden winch that is on there now and put on a bigger winch with different bumper. I will do a 4x4Iron rear bumper w/ swingaway tire carrier. I haul a lot of stuff because I also hunt and camp in it. So, no light load empty rig Rubicon trail riding for me. I will be building this to be durable. But, I have to drive a ways to get to my wheeling spots. So, the OD is nice to have on the freeway. This isn't a trailer rig.