Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on General Grabbers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Jul 30, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I am buying some rims this weekend that are coming with a set of 35" General Grabber Muds. What are your opinions on these tires. They have between 70-80% of the tread. I'm getting a killer deal so tires may as well be free, just wondering how good they are.

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I talked to a guy at a local tire store and he said that he wouldn't sell them because they are too hard to keep balanced. Go figure. As far as traction goes, I don't know, but they do have a decent amount of void space. Let us know how they do.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a set of 35" General Grabber MT's. I've had them about 3 years now and they do well off road, flex good, bite hard and generally self clean very well. I also noticed they seem to wear very good, I have about 35,000 miles on them and all but one have over 50% left on them. I had a ball joint go bad and didn't notcie quickly enough and cupped one pretty bad. I stuck it on the back and 'burned' it back to round but of course now its almost completely worn.

I can't say for sure if its the tire or my stock steel rims but i do seem to have a problem with keeping them balanced. I think one or more of my rims may be a bit bent though.

Overall I think they're a good tire...especially for how inexpensive they were.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Anyone else?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Same as BFG Mud Terrains, AWESOME in the mud.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Sara, I had them on my truck for almost 4 years, i got about 42,000 miles on them, they're still in the back yard as a matter of fact, with another 3-4,000 miles to go, they ride well, do clean well, never had a problem with them, of course i bought mine from Americas Tire and got the lifetime balance so i just had them rotated and balanced every 3000 miles cause i could so i can't really comment on the balance but i think they did have to move the weights around a bit every six months or so.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

7. Always heard they make a pretty good tire for the money.

Steve Fox, ROCKS!!!
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

8. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I have 33" Grabbers and I like them. They clean well and they flex pretty good. I do not air down as much as I did with other brands as they seem to conform better than the others with the same amount of pressure.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

9. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I picked up my rims/tires on Friday. I got a killer deal on the Mickey Thompson Classic Alcoa's.. 300 bucks with the tires. The tires are A/T's not M/T's like i thought, but they are in excellent condition and look like they wore evenly etc. I like the way they look too... so for now they will be going on the Truck. I will let you know how they work on the truck.

10. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Ran both 33's and 35's. Loved 'em. They held up better than the BFG's on the local trails. Wandered a bit on the street, more than I'd like. Balancing...yep, hard to keep balanced. But great tire.

--Rob