Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on Green Diamond tires from High-Tec Retreading.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 26, 2005.

?

Green Diamond's worth it? (only vote if you have some experience or good reason)?

1. Yes, get the Green Diamonds

44.4%
  2. No, just get the regular tires and save the money for more toys.

11.1%
  3. No, just get the regular tires and use the extra money to buy a spare

22.2%
  4. Don't touch this brand of tires (explain)

11.1%
  5. Other

11.1%
  1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Ever use these tires?

http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/diamond.html

They have synthetic green emeralds embedded in the tread to act like studs in the winter. I need to get something else because I just found out how bad Boggers suck on icy roads. Opinions and reviews welcome here. :D

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I have heard very good things about retreads in general these last few years. I haven't heard of this place before, but I might be giving them a call next spring for some 35's. Long ago, retreads used to only last a few thousand miles, but they have come a long way in the retreading process.

Rick

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

This place has been advertising in the back of Four Wheeler and Peterson's 4x4 and Offroad for years. I've just not needed to get new tires. But these 40" Boggers are killing me, so I want something with some better winter traction for the road (especially if I need to make a 1200 mile trip to Colorado).

I too was skeptical of retreads, but my last Blazer, an '84, had a set of retreads (patterened after BFG Mud Terrains) and I was very happy with them. They were very grippy and the tread held to the carcass very well.

I'm suprised no one on CK5 has tried these, they must be selling enough to pay for the advertisements in those magazines.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i have looked at their site before, and i know the add your talking about. if the tires do what they say they will do then they are an excellent option

5. Veefour

Veefour Registered Member

I just looked at the site, and I'm in the market for new tires as it is. I may go with them.

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

They have up to 37"s in the mud terrain variety. That's what I like.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a member here has a set of 35s with the green diamond. he got them in the late spring early summer. so havn't been able to ask him how they work in the snow. he should chime in soon. they do look great in person though. im thinking about getting a set for myself.

8. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I'm running there 35" D-Mud tred on my 'Burb right now. (not the green D) and I have to say that I am verry pleased with them :bow:
    They are the same tred as the old Dunlap Mud Rovers (If U remember those) and I have about 2000mi on 'em so far. I didn't balance 'em (16x8 steelies) and they ride smoother than the 33's I had before that wer balanced :rolleyes: I have read some verry good things about the "Green Diamond" additive.

Burb on rock 1.JPG

9. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

I just got some Wensday, put them on some duramax aluminum take offs. They are the Cooper pattern in 235-85-16, with the diamonds. They have about 70 miles on them now. There are some diamond sticking through the rubber in spots. All four casing were Goodyear mtrs, they look to be of very good quality. All four taped to with in about 3/8" in circumferance. The tread depth was 15/32" dead on anywhere I measured them. Ill post up after I get them on some slick roads.

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Awesome, that's what I like to hear. Can't wait to hear more. :laugh:

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

12. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Could you elaborate? I only called them retreads because the company is "High-Tec Retreading" and I didn't know there was such a thing as remolds.

13. sweetk30

the casing is buffed down like a recap and the side walls also. then the second half is like a new tire being built. the new rubber is spun on with the carbide sprinkled in to the rubber at the same time. then sidewall rubber is added after . then all this goes in to a hot press mold and is cured to harden the rubber .

this is the way new tires are made with the casings . but the tetreads/remolds from this place are made like the new tires. the semi trucks still run the retreads.

14. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for the info. It sure is nice to get information from the horse mouth, rather than the other end. Have you ever seen a nascar tire assembled? I didnt know that there was that much hand work in building a tire. My tires seemed to work good this morning, light dusting of snow that most had melted and froze. Probally be real good when the nubbies are worn off.

15. sweetk30

one other thing. when thay are new the carbide is just below the rubber so when it is in the mold the air hole vents dont get pluged off by a loose piece of it. this is where your little hairs come from also.

16. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So have you had a chance to test them out on some good snow/ice yet?

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, I run a set. So far, I'm not sure how much the "green diamonds" (carbide pieces) actually do for traction. If you rub the tread surface with a finger, they fall right out (the carbides, not the fingers). Now, the little hole that they leave should do something for traction by itself, but I kind of imagined it like tiny studs, sticking out past the tread surface. My guess is that as soon as you spin the tire, the grip of the green diamond on the ice would be enough to pull it off the tire.

Other than that, they seem to be great tires. The price absolutely can't be beat. They are also taller than most radial 35's. So far the treadwear seems really good.

Here are some pictures comparing them to my old Pro Comp 35's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So what is the actual diameter of the tire? Actually 35"?

So would you recommend getting the Green Diamonds, or pass on them to save the money / get a spare?

How do they run on snow/ice? The whole reason I'm looking into these is because they are cheap, and I can't run my 40" Boggers (they are scary on snow). Unfortunately the Boggers broke the bank so now I have to go cheap.

19. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think when we measured them here they measured 34.5" off the truck with little air pressure.

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have checked out those tires also. And am interested n getting some.
    Are they any noiser than other MTs?:ears: