Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on holley TBI adapter plate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Apr 1, 2003.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I was gonan use an adapter from holley to put my TBI on my edelbrock intake on my 84, But I thought I saw someone saying that it's a bad idea to use the adapter. I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find anything on the post. So what's the general concensus on this thing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im interested in this also, Holley recommended using their adapter over using their TBI intake? Anyone with experiences on this?

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres a couple of snips from an article on this site http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/modthel03.html
    which talks about hot rodding 2nd gen camaros with 305 TBI.

<snip> A TBI spacer fits directly under the TBI unit, on the manifold itself, and raises the injector above the manifold, increasing air flow and velocity, thus increasing power. You might even be able to put two spacers under your TBI unit, depending on hood clearance problems. One should do you just fine. Another cheap modification ($20) is a TBI injector spacer. This 'other' spacer raises the actual injector housing within the TBI unit, creating air flow increases of as much as 7%! Again, you may be able to use a second injector spacer to make even more flow increases depending on hood clearance problems. It's your call based on what type of hood you use, stock or aftermarket

<snip> Holley makes an adaptor plate which allows you to use your TBI unit on any manifold that will accept a four barrel Holley carburetor, which is 99.9% of all aftermarket manifolds out there. This allows you to bypass the restrictive intake passages all together and go with a more conventional manifold design such as the Edelbrock Performer series or the Weiand 'Stealth' series of manifolds.....Here is a pic of the Holley unit, part number 17-45 and is available directly from Holley. Using the adaptor plate, you could use the 670cfm Holley TBI injector with one of Holley (or another company's) four barrel intake manifold...........use the 'four barrel' intake manifold and a TBI adaptor plate to install the TBI unit to the manifold. This offers the biggest intake area for the air / fuel mixture. Turbo City and Holley both make adaptor plates so that you can mount your factory TBI unit (or the 670cfm Holley unit) to any manifold which will accept a four barrel Holley carb.

sounds like a good idea to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you want to go on the cheap, GM made a stock adapter for a few years. They can be found on truck around 91 or so with a Big Block. Instead of trashing a ton of four barrell manifolds, They just used an adapter untill the manifolds ran out. They were set up for water cooling but I just didnt hook mine up. Spent $2 for it at the yard.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, that is fine, but when is the last time you saw a big block, let alone a TBI one, in a junkyard????? In all the years I've been going to junkyards, Ive seen three, in Colorado, and those were 75 and older. My 89 has that spacer on it, and has the same intake as my 82 454.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Use the adapter plate. They work fine. The only problem with them is if you are running a 700r4 tranny. You may have to modify the TV cable mounting a bit to get it to work right. Or get a TV made easy kit from http://www.700r4.com