Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinions on machining heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Jan 30, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Im looking for some opinions on what I should do for cylinder heads. would it be worth it to machine the stockers for better compression and have them ported or should I look for another set? Id really like to have some heads from dart or world products but they are a little out of my price range for the time being. by the way the intake Ill be using is an edelbrock torker and the cam is a lunati voodoo with .489 intake and .504 exhaust lift and this is not my offroad truck, just a street rod so low end power is not the key goal. thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've gotta say you need to save up.

If you are looking for maximum power, the heads are where it is at, and a good set from who you mention are what, around $1100? Start calculating machining/parts cost and *time*. You'll see that the price isn't that unreasonable. Valves, springs, guideplates, retainers, screw in studs, machining for screw in studs, machining for flatness, milling for increased compression, cleaning, magnafluxing, and so on and so on. And guess what? You've still got a head that has no technology going for it at all, you've just sunk a ton of money into it.

Believe me, it's worth it to wait. If you are building something for power, you are cheating yourself by using stock heads, period. I don't care if you can port the crap out of them, if they aren't "fast burn" chambers, you can't fix that problem, and the aftermarket makes heads that come out of the box better in all ways than what the average person AND head is capable of achieving. Especially without a flow bench.

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thanks for the input. thats really what I expected to hear. most of the aftermarket heads I have been looking at have been between $900 and $1200. Im just not sure which ones I want to go with.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

AFR makes some darn nice heds, but not sure you can really go wrong with anyone. Edelbrock seems to be a BIT behind the others, personally I don't think I'd be considering them.

GM's bowtie heads look pretty sweet too, but unsure if you get as much with them for the price as you would from AFR, World, etc. All in the research!

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

ALOT of people are having great luck with the GM factory Vortec heads, but you need a new intake to go with them.
    Here they are 289.00 each new complete.
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Complete-Cast-Iron-Vortec-Cylinder-Head-Assembly-12558060-P752C0.aspx

Might find a better deal somewhere else.

I personally went with Sportsman II's. My machine shop was able to do both heads, complete with 1.440 springs for my roller cam for under 1,000.00
    I did spend the money on my first motor to have a set of camelhumps done up with 2.05 valves, porting, etc and it was over 700.00 total. Not worth it.

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what are your stockers?