Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinions on marlin .30-30 lever action?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by thezentree, Oct 16, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im thinkin about buying a marlin .30-30 lever action rifle from walmart. its like $300, and it seems like it'd be a great knock-around gun. my friend has one, and it seems like its pretty well built and shoots well for the price. any opinions?

2. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Excellent choice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My first deer rifle was a Winchester lever .30-30. There's a bunch of threads on rifles on here and lots of opinions, too. Do a search and see what you come up with. A lot of times Marlin runs specials where they throw in a scope and sling for about the same price ($300 +/-). Do a little shopping before buying.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Marlin makes a good rifle. I have a Model 1895 in 45-70, sweet gun. I say go for it. Big 5 has the Marlin 30-30's on sale from time to time for ~$275 or so, but I have heard that the recievers are not drilled and tapped for scope mounts or aftermarket sights. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I have a Savage Model 99 30-30, it's definitely a nice caliber. If you go to buy one, ask if you can look at a few different ones. You will be able to pick one out where the wood looks a bit better than the others, or the checkering looks better, or whatever. Just look at a few of them, there will be minor differences with fit and finish, you can then pick the best one. And, Marlin is still made in USA!

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

yea, i checked out dick's sporting goods yesterday, they had one with a scope for $300, so i'll be going to dick's when i go to get one. while i was there, i looked at an 1895 .45-70 just for kicks. mofugly, do you hunt tanks? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I saw this post on Sat. and thought that a 30-30 may be a good addition, found one in the Nickel and called the number. It was a girl selling all her boyfriend's sh*t, too bad I was too late, she let that Winchester 94 30-30 go for $150. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Boy he must have really pissed her off. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my dad has a lever action marlin chambered in .444. Great bush gun... if I was ever in bear country, it'd be a good choice to carry.

personally, Ive never been much of a fan of the 30-30 as a caliber, but to each their own. I do like Marlin levers though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Jek - the .30-30 has it's place - be it terrain and/or type of game. I think everyone who hunts or shoots probably has an opinion on the .30-30. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif A lot of people love it - others have no use for it - and still others don't know enough to discuss it intelligently.

John - read as much as you can. Decide what you want to use that particular caliber for, then read some more. Join the NRA and subscribe to American Rifleman magazine or American Hunter magazine. Or just get a subscription to Guns and Ammo. There's a ton of information out there and you're not gonna be able to digest it all - believe me - I've tried. Information overload!! Most of all - just have fun hunting and shooting!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif