Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on Mickey Tompson Baja Claws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Still looking into different 37" tires. What do y'all think of 37x13.50x15 Mickey Tompson Baja Claws ????? Will be using 15x10 steel white wagon wheel rims. [​IMG]

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Opinions ?????????

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've heard they're great on rocks, but in mud and sand they aren't so great, although if you have POWER, they act like paddle tires. Street, they wear kinda fast...

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i've seen a lot of them around, all on street trucks, body lift & 35s...
    they all seem to be lacking in the tread area, they wear real fast on heavy trucks...
    but like stated they're best in the sand..

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Don't waste your money, they have very limited usage.

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'm getting 35" baja claw RADIALS.....don't care about rocks, sand etc... they do great on pavement......plus I don't put too many miles on it in the short time each year it's on the road...should get 3-4 years outta them myself.

Brandy

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

From what i has seen Swamper TSLs are much better.

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Paul
    I think it was OffRoad mag. that just did a review of those tires and the one thing I got out of it was they said they would be lucky to get 12.000 miles out of them.
    But they are some cool looking tires.

Eric

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used to have a set of the radials on my truck. 35x12.50. They were great tires. I had them for two years, and even with worn out ball joints and occasional burnout, I put almost 60K miles on them. Pulled great in sand, sucked ass in mud, but their rock performance was great. Now a girl (yes, a girl) local to me, has a set of 35x13.50 or whatever size 35 it is in a bias ply, and they absolutely suck in whatever she uses them for. I don't know about rocks though, she just runs mud and sand.

10. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I got some 33/ 12.50 Xterrains and They are kinda like Baja claws. I run in pretty much mud and some rock and some sand but mostly MUD and these tires kick ASS big time . Good grip and can throw a rooster tail up to the air planes. Im runnin 16x10 xtreme alloys plus the tires get very little wear on pavement do to the directional tread pattern ive been told by other 4x4's that i should get anywhere from 40,000 to 55,000 depending on how often rotated every 5,000 miles is the best time to or so ive been told.. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I looked at these tires once at Discount tire (I was trying to score a set of used 35's take offs cheap) and they have a great design for what I run mostly. (rock) But the thing I didn't like about them was the fact that they were very soft rubber. It is great to stick to things, but I do alot of street driving and I would wear them out really fast with my welded rearend. I think I would run a Swamper before I would run a Claw for street use. For an offroad only tire they would rock though.

12. gen1blazer

gen1blazer Registered Member

For the money, I believe you can get a much better set of tires than the Baja Claws! I ran a set of B-C's(35x13.50x15-10"rim) on a Cruiser I used to have, and I had a serious problem keeping them on the rim under 10psi. I remember on one trail ride, I could not go even 20 feet w/o losing a bead, made for a very long day. They were great in the rocks(over 10psi), ok in the mud(good self cleaners), sucked in the snow(just digs holes), never ran in the sand. I'd say great choice if your gonna run bead locks, if not, there's better options out there! JMO

13. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

a buddy of mine had a set of 33's on his blazer and we beat the heck out of them. they are ok in mud, loose dirt, great in sand when down around 6-10 psi. mileage depends on how you care for them. he drove alot on the highway over 80 and ran them at normal tire pressures. they are soft, but not as soft as my tsl's. I have been driving my tsl's 20 miles round trip every day since august and can barely notice any wear, although I do run them at 14psi on the street and try not to drive for long periods over 45.

-Scott

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I haven't personally run them, but several of the regulars in our club run them in the 33 to 35" range in the bias ply and they all like them. Most of our trails are dirt, ruts, and mud with some loose rocks and rock ledges thrown in. All of these vehicles are mostly just used for the trails so I don't know about tread wear on the street.

15. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

First off, I wouldn't EVER (again /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) invest in another set of Mickey's that are bias. Not sure if you're looking at the radials or bias, but I would run far and fast from any MT bias tire. They wander worse than any bias I have ever run or seen, flat spot like crazy, and wear for about 15,000. The radials have the same wear problems from what I have witnessed (albeit not as severe), but like someone said, MT uses a fairly soft compound, and the wear characteristics are very poor. Go with your MT/R's.

16. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Send LiftedAssDodge a PM,and ask him. Bahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I had a set of the 35x13.5x16 Bias Claws on mine. They worked very well on the rocks whether dry or wet. I took them off because I wanted something bigger. The sidebiters worked extremely well. Several times I was able to make it up side hills and ledges because of the sidewalls only. I put them on my dad's Jeep and he loves them. Really surprises everyone that sees them work on the trails because no one thinks they work. I never had mine in mud or sand, so I could not give an opinion on that. I only wish the made a 40x13.5x15/16/16.5/17. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I rode in my friends CJ-7 with a set of the 33" bias MT's and they appeared to ride okay with no vibration or wobble at all. It was about 10 degrees outside and he had just pulled it off the trailer and I did not notice any flat spots. Again, this was just from one experience riding in the vehicle for about 10 miles.

19. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had a set of 31's on a Toyota Land Cruiser, and they were awful in every aspect of the word. Maybe the Claws are better (mine were the Baja Belteds), or maybe I just had a bad set. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I would say there is just a little difference between the Baja Belteds and the Baja Claws.