Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on my plans.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

This is my thinking for my old 76 Blazer K5. Just thought I'd post it and get everyones opinion. I already have a 6" suspension lift useing blocks in the rear. I'd like to get rid of the blocks, so I'm planing on http://www.springersuspensions.com/index.html It looks like it'll fit my needs. I might also add a 2" body lift. I also want to use http://www.bentandtwisted4x4.com/index_files/page0008.html Rocksliders. My rockers are getting alittle rusty, nothing serious yet, mostly just surface rust. Also want to use Pre-runner style front and rear bumpers. Want a swing out tire rack on the rear. And a must for me will be a http://offcamber4x4.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OC4&Product_Code=553-010&Category_Code=B , I just bought some 3/4 Ton axles yesterday. 14 Bolt FF for the rear, and a 3/4 Ton Dana 44 for the front. I would prefer a Dana 60, but I just haven't been able to find one around here for under $1,600.00 so The 3/4 Ton axles will have to do. I'm thinking 36 inch Superswampers (if I can aford them) I'd like 4:56 gears, the axles I just bought have 3:73 gears. I will be using my K5 for a daily driver and off road in the Black Hills National Forest. I'm not into rock crawling, but I'll give it a try. I'm more into exploring the forest looking for old ghost towns. I like getting out in the middle of nowhere (forest) and camping for the night. So what do y'all think of what I'm trying to go for ??? Think it'll work for my app. ???

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Here is my oponion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If you don't have overdrive you might want to consider 4:10 gears since you said it was a daily driver. Also if you have a stick shift with granny low the 3:73's might be ok. Fortunately I am not in the same boat since I can get D60's anytime I need one but with just 36's and not much rock crawling the D44 will be fine. I would not do a body lift. If you do a body lift just do 1". The sliders and top are just personal preferance. If you don't want to hack the rockers just get a good bolt on set. Bumpers is basically what you want. If you will have the room on the inside put your spare there but if not make sure you have a good carrier for the weight that will be on it. After last weekends wheeling trip I found out the tire carriers can be in the way on some terrain and that was even on short wheelbase Jeeps.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Spriner is a great setup /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. i have it, never run it. seen it run. loved it. bought it. i agree on the 1 inch body lift. and i would go 37's. they have a better rim selection(from what i have seen) the tops is good. bumpers you will like i think. and the rockers, if i had the cash i would have 2 sets.
    as for gearing i would go with 4.10 also. Marv Springer runs(or used to. may have changed it) 3.73 with 35's and they seemed fine. his motor is a bit beefy though.
    Grant