Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on Realift torsion-bar relocators?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Suburbanite, May 4, 2003.

1. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

The June issue of "4-Wheel & Off-Road", pp110-11, has an article on these. Seem like a good idea, but can anyone think of any cons? Here's the best source link I could find:

http://abell.as.arizona.edu/~hill/4x4/realift.html

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have seen a site where an S10 guy put them on he claimed they were the best thing he put on his rig. They seem like a great idea in theory. I didn't get how they worked till I checked out the S10 guys site. wish I saved it. I am planning SFA myself but if I wasn't I would use them I think.

3. Suburbanite

Too funny ... I just replied to one of your posts!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ahh, yeah it happens. welcome by the way, haven't seen you aorund i don't think.

5. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

yeah, i can think of a con - they add another angle of torque....instead of the tbar adding the twist to the LCA, now you got the tbar adding a twist and a push to the stupid thingy, then that thingy adds the twist and another angle to the LCA. in other words, you got twisting force(normal), but you also got a side to side force (abornormal)

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have to say I have been looking at this product for a while now and on another fourm they all swear by them. I however am not so sure. I think that they will eventually round out your keys. As they are now not only stiffing up the "spring" but their range of motion is now increased. I'm still on the fence however. One of my friends I have been debating with about this ended a session with wait a year and see if they stand the test of time.......

7. Suburbanite

Thnx for the welcome sled_dog! I've been 'around' for awhile but don't do much posting & just recently 'discovered' the "The Garage" forum. Now it's my 1st stop when visiting ColoradoK5.

I've done some thinking (oh no!) since I posted. Mainly along the lines of "Why haven't any of the lift manufacturers offered this solution?" & I think I know the answer: Because it doesn't work too well or for very long.

I wonder if any sort of "force" analysis was ever done by Realift (sorta, kinda doubt it).

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the force analysis is a good point. I see bushing wear big time with that. As for teh rounding I don't know.