Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on Skyjacker Lift Kits...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, May 12, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been looking at what all the different suspension lift kit companies offer for a 1-Ton 4X4, and SkyJacker and SuperLift seem to be the only companies that offer lift kits for 1-Ton trucks. I have looked at BDS and Tough Country, but they do not offer anything for 1-Tons (only 3/4 Tons). I am interested in installing a 4" lift on my 1-Ton 4X4 Crew Cab, and SuperLift only offers a 3" and 5" lift, but SkyJacker has a 4" lift.

After seeing some of the discussions regarding shackle flip lift kits and towing, I have decided not to go with a shackle flip lift since I will be doing some towing with my rig. I am also concerned about using arched 4" springs in the rear as well for towing because they might be too springy for towing.

One solution I was thinking of was to purchase a set of new OEM, 9 leaf, 3500 Lb leaf springs for the rear (which is what truck came with factory) from JC Whitney, a set of billet steel 4" lift blocks for the rear, and a set of custom 4" lift springs from Alcan Springs for the front. I was thinking of going with billet steel lift blocks because cast iron lift blocks may be too soft of a steel for towing. One question I have is does anybody know of a company that offers stronger steel lift blocks?

Or...I could do the OEM rear springs, billet steel lift blocks, and SkyJacker 4" lift kit...

What do you think?????

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Stronger or not, axle wrap is still an issue and you could still spit them out due to it. That would hurt your towing capabilities. I wouldn't choose to run blocks on anything, but definetally not a tow rig. I wouldn't trust anything generic from JC Whitney.

3. 1-ton

As far as axle wrap goes, I am not really planning on stomping on the throttle with this truck because it is too much of a tank for this, and it would probably break something if I stomp on it hard enough to get axle wrap. There is always the option of putting ladder bars on the truck to stop axle wrap if it did become an issue.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Good luck wrapping up a set of 9 leaf springs.

Fords come with 4" blocks from the factory.

Much safer than a shackle flip on a tow rig in my opinion.

5. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck wrapping up a set of 9 leaf springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 1-ton

Well, any opinions on Skyjacker.....or know who builds custom billet steel lift blocks?

7. 1-ton

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I can tell you I don't have much problems with axle wrap and I am running a 4" block and a 2.5" add-a-leaf with the stock springs. I tow with it all the time and never really have problems. If I am towing a heavy load and give it too much throttle off the line than I can feel a little axle wrap but it was like that when it was stock too. I have friends with lifted Superduties and HD dodges out here that pull cattle trailers on a daily basis with tall blocks in the rear and never have had a prob. Some HD trucks come with short blocks from the factory. If someone is having probs with axle hop than some traction bars or maybe just some rancho kicker shocks(what I'm going with) and it would probably take care of it.

9. 1-ton

anymore this evening? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

if you want stiff springs get some rough country...

i think blocks in the rear would be fine but i dont see why you would need really stiff ones up front most of the load is in the rear..

skyjackers sometimes have a problem sagging. this might be only for the 1/2ton or 3/4ton springs if there is a difference.

ranchos are good front springs not as soft as bds or TC.

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

My question is.....why lift a tow rig? Is this gonna be a dual use vehicle used offroad and for on road heavy hauling? If its gonna be used for heavy hauling you want stiff heavy springs, sway bars front and rear and a fairly low center of gravity.

12. 1-ton

I am going to use the truck for light trail wheeling and light towing...for things like dirt bikes. The truck is not going to be a daily towing workhorse, only a weekend recreational tow and light wheeling truck. I might tow at the outside most 5000 Lbs. with it occasionally. As I stated in the original post, I cannot use Rough Country or Rancho springs because they do not make any specifically for 1-Ton trucks; only Skyjacker and SuperLift make lift kits specifically for 1-Ton trucks. Thanks for the input on Skyjackers springs.

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, any opinions on Skyjacker.....or know who builds custom billet steel lift blocks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had good luck w/ Skyjacker springs.... as I recall they have a lifetime warranty./forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Bill @ Az Kickin' will make any reasonable design of a custom block you want...

Marv

14. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe skyjacker has 2.5" wide for the front whereas the superlift is 3"wide.Also i believe skyjacker rear springs are softer (@ 3/4 ton capacity)than stock springs.Call both companys to get the specific info . Let me know what u do as i am in almost same predicament. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All chevy springs for these trucks are 2 1/2" wide.

16. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Tim, is that true for all aftermarket springs? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

My buddy had a 4" kit on his '94 Chevy 454 powered extended cab with blocks in the rear. He towed a big ass gooseneck trailer for his pulling truck [​IMG] all around the country for 6 years and never had an issue with his blocks. That truck had more mile with the trailer hooked up, than without it. I don't see any problems with blocks for towing.

For rock crawling with the forces exerted in all kinds of different directions, I can see where they could be a weak link, but street and mild trails, I feel safe with them.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim, is that true for all aftermarket springs? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you expect them to fit they have to be 2 1/2" wide so they'll fit into the shackles/hangers.

19. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

you will be fine with blocks in the rear look at every factory truck manufacturer out there ?

the skyjacker springs will eventualy sag in the front but it just means they ride better.
    look around and you will see that is what most people run because they are inexpensive and you can pick them up at any shop.