Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on synthetic winch lines!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CCRider, Apr 10, 2003.

1. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Looking into a rockstomper synthetic winch line , does anyone have anything bad to say about these??? should I go with 125' of 5/16" (13,700#) or 100' of 3/8"(24,000#) I tend to go overkill , so I'm leaning toward the 3/8" , need your opinions people!!! Thanks.................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Dont got an opinion.. but im gonna get some someday soon

IT floats, Its limp, no wires hanging out, YOU CAN GET IT IN DIFF COLORS..... its lighter, they say its stronger,

I just heard that you need to use that Abrasion guard if you are gonna have to winch with the line on rocks and such, or else it will fray and break.

3. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Yeah , they provide 2 5'or 1 10' abrasion guard that fits tight to the line and can be spooled in with it!! Good point though!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I haven't ran it yet but I just ordered my 125' 5/16" line with the protection sleeves last night. I'll let you know how it works when it arrives /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Billvista has been on a tear since that D60 bible

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have one and love it. Go with the 5/16" it is stronger than your 5/16 cable. If you go 3/8 you will use more winch power just to pull the slack from the rope and it will not pull as hard. First time you have to coil it up and throw it up a hill to a winch point you will be glad you have it, and as a bonus, no more cable bites. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Some first hand observations:

I wanted to go with 1/4" on the Warn M8k slated for use on my Yota mini. Figured I could get a LOT of line on the spool that way.
    The 1/4" Amsteel Blue is rated for an average breaking strength just barely above 8000 pounds. As an experiment I got some of the 1/4" Amsteel, not the Amsteel Blue, which is rated below 8k.
    A couple friends & I did several tests to failure with it. We used a 1t BB/700R4 Crewcab service bed (bed loaded with camping gear & tools) as the 'anchor' and a D60/14bff'ed, SBC/TH400'd Yota LC with an 8274 on it for winching. All of this out on the street in front of my friend's house. We hooked the 8274's hook to the crewcab with the 1/4" Amsteel and tried a variety of things. In spite of it looking like rope, you can NOT tie a knot in it and have it hold. It will fail at the knot far below the strength of the line itself. I'm a rockclimber and former farm kid, I know a few knots to try. None of them worked. Each knot failure occured at the first major bend in the line. Looked like maybe the tightening of the line on itself created enough heat to cause premature failure.
    However, a simple splice will hold. We moved the crewcab back about a 18" b4 the 1/4" line broke with the splice. This with with it in park, e-brake on, and a block behind the RR tire.

The guy ahead of the Chainlink at the Chainlink's debut out in Johnson Valley had poly line on his winch and needed to use the winch to get out of the first course on Saturday. His spotter ran the line over a sharp point on a rock. As soon as the line went tight, it failed. I had a chance to look at the broken end. It looked exactly like those knot failures I saw during my experiemnt.
    My recommendation is that you get and always use the abrasion guards.

Wellington publishes a booklet on knots, hitches, and splices. It has the method for making an eye splice in 12 strand poly rope.
    You need a 'fid' of some sort to make the splice. In the 1/4" experiment I used a pencil as a fid with decent success. 12 strand poly rope is a bit like a 'Chinese Finger trap', and this can be used to your advantage. The field repair splice is to work the fid into the center of the line, go down thru the center about 8-10 diameters and come back out. Pull the dead end of the line thru this with enough length to do this several times. Each time the dead end passes thru the center of the line it gets the 'finger trap' action holding it in place.

As an aside, the 8274's hook always went flying when the poly line broke, usually under the LC. This with only a couple of feet of cable spooled out. The poly stuff just dropped to the ground. Same thing happened at Johnson Valley, the poly line just dropped on the ground when it broke.

Sorry for the novel.....

9. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Sounds alot like any fiber strand material , I work with carbon fiber sometimes , which everyone knows is strong as hell as far as tensile strength , well if you take a strand of carbon fiber thread , or a pull as they're called (a bunch of strands in a 3/16" flat pattern) wrap each end around your index fingers and try to break it , you physically CAN NOT BREAK IT , tie a simple knot in it and it breaks like it isnt even there!!!! Thanks for the heads up on the Amsteel blue being that way , I can now see how it would be!!! Just ordered 125' of 5/16" from scott @ Rockstomper , Great guy , answered all my questions (about 10) should be here next week!! Thanks for the info guys!!!.............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

BTW, Wellington is a rope maker & I got their booklet from Port Hueneme Marine Supply in Port Hueneme, CA. I got the fid I have since used on some 3/8" Amsteel from Westmarine.com West Marine should be able to get both for you. Highly recommend the booklet as it shows how to do a proper eyelet splice (which is why I got some 3/8" and the fid). Knowing how to do the splice will allow for future repairs.

Scoot E is a good guy. He & I go way back from the ORC yota list. Haven't kept up with him lately though.