Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on this dual ram air system?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Sep 25, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm tired of my lame open element sucking hot air from the engine compartment.
    This is the best thing i can find:
    Ram Air box
    They sell a dual snorkel 14x4 air box for about $120 without a filter. I'd get the one that puts the snorkel intake at 110 degree angle instead of 80 degree so it could go around a ac compressor if I do that in the future.
    So basically, I would have two 4" inlets on either side of my radiator going to a 14x4 K&N. Sounds great to me.
    But I've also heard about the possibilty of getting mud/water into the inlets.
    What do you guys think? I need SOMETHING other than this stupid open element.

-- Mike

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

go for it !!!
    cold air = more hp = more fun!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    as far as mud and water getting in there could'nt be worse than a 14 inch OPEN element.

Just be sure to get aluminium duck insted of the plastic ones from a dryer ,the aluminium flow a lot better.

sure u are going to wash the filter more often but right foot wont mind the extra work. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

remember for evry 5degre(fareneith) drop u get 1 hp + the ram air effect!!! think about it!!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You know, I've been toying with the idea of a functional cowl induction hood. The hoods are availuble and the box to icolate the filter would be pretty easy to make. I was thinking that I would just drill some holes in the trailing edge of the box for the water to drain out of, if that makes any sense. Like I said something I'v been tossing around. Thev also make a single inlet like the dual you have shown, in case you didn't know. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are a mudding truck, as your handle implies, this should be the last thing you do for performance.

your radiator should be bed-mounted, all electrical in cab and a snorkle that is in cab also.

having the inlets in the front of a mud truck is what i would do if the free world was dependent on my gernade-ing the motor. flip the thing around, run the tubes in through the cab.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    if you are a mudding truck, as your handle implies, this should be the last thing you do for performance

[/ QUOTE ]
    When I first got into 4wheeling, mudding was all I knew about. I've since tamed down the all-mud-all-the-time ideas and really go for a rounded truck that I can drive to work too.
    So rad in the bed is no good. If I had a trail only vehicle I could see that, but mine's got to sit in the driveway in front of my house without getting homeowner's association violations.
    To get back on the ram air, I think I am going to go ahead with this. Thanks all for the input.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah go with it! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ummmm, i bought it, had it on two vehicles (k-20 &amp; a k5) and three different motors,(sold one vehicle and retained the system), two 350's and my present 305 motor. i have had no noticeable change in either vehicles performance. both vehicles where stock x-cept for the 305 with an edelbrock intake. have to say, unless you have a performance motor that sucks more air, the system is just for looks, and looks it gets ! you pop the hood and have that ram air system people say "wow". but i must admit, id rather have the 200.00+ bucks back in my pocket for repairs now. but if you got the $$$$$, go for it. i know there are others on this board who have had the same results as me, but take it for its worth.good luck with YOUR decision.

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

btw, if ya want more detailed info on the system you can pm me or email me and ill be glad to help you.

9. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Has anyone taken their air cleaner and just added an additional snorkel to the other side from a junk-yard cleaner..I have planned on doing this very soon.. my open breather her in El Centro CA sucks in extremely hot air..outside air temp this week 112-115 plus the engine heat..OUCH /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes. My dads running that on his 454, and I was GOING to on my 350, but since I'm going TPI, I'm not going to.

It'll be for sale one of these days if you are interested, still gotta weld the other snorkel on and paint it.