Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on tires...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 13, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I was looking at new tires for the "soon to be acquired K5" (as I affectionately call it around friends). I am going to get some 35" x 12.5" tires and I was thinking about some BFG MT's....I want a realtively good highway tire that can hold its own off road...and I want to stay within a $160 price cap...Any other suggestions other than the BFG Mt's or the AT's?

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/15/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster, & pretty to boot

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I like the BFG M/T If you get them siped they last a long time. My last set I got 45,000 miles out of them and I am hard on them. My buddy has the all terrain tires and they are good if you live on the street. I have had Swampers also they area a tough tire but they wear kinda quick. Swampers are also hard on axles

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah but swampers are FUN!! seriously though, the BFGs are good tires and so are procomps from what i've heard. i really want some of those x-terrains!

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Alot of people bag on the AT's but from what I have seen they do quite well in everything but mud. They don't dig to China in the sand, are quiet on the hwy, last a long time and get great traction on the corse sand/rocks that is in most of the local SoCal Mtn's. If you live in a dry area go w/ the AT's.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

A lot of street.... ATs

Any off road... MTs

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have M/T's and like them. The really nice thing about them is that you can purchase them at the big tire store chains so you can get a road hazard warrantee. If you chop the side wall, oh well,,,,you get a new one. In the pics I have of my 72 those are the M/T's on there and they work great in the snow and sand as you can see.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ Triaged..... I've had Swampers, M/T's and A/T's and have decided that I'm an "A/T" kind of guy! Only time I've regretted it is when I get into mud - which isn't very often.

If you use your truck as a "daily" - even if you wheel alot - you still spend most of your time on the street.

Marv

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'd like to hear more first hand experiences with the X-Terrains. They sound like a perfect balance between on-road and off-road. Anybody tried them. How long do they last?

Also, how much would a Pro-Comp Mud Terrain last? Any pros/cons? I like Pro-Comps low prices, but don't want to get something bad for being cheap.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I like BFG's. I have the AT's but I am going to switch to the MT's after I saw how they performed on my Dads F-350. My AT's have been great tires, but I am looking to get a little more agressive offroad so MT's here I come.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

10. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

i have some 35x12.5 pro comp muds and they are really nice tires, they ride nice and come siped. I am really pleased with them. just my .02
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

We have the procomps on the 4Runner. They have been a great tire on and off road. Procomp mud 35x12.5x15. I am thinking about putting them on my beast cause he wants boggers or swampers for the 4Runner. We have had the procomps on there for over a year now and don't have any complaints at all. As for my General Grabbers i can tell you "DO NOT GET THEM" They are hard to keep balanced, and suck!

Just my opinion!

12. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

i was trying to decide between the bfg mt and the pro comp mt last week.
    the pro comps won. i heard enough good things about the pro comps on this board and others that the money saved seemed like too good deal to pass up. oh last week when i ordered my 35's they were buy 3 get one free.
    my tires should be here by the end of the week.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

13. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

jan 2002 4 wheeler has a nice little tire test including the the X-terrains. rated pretty high. esp. on the street.

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

right now i have the goodyear MTR's...so far i am not too empresed with em.....i liked my BFG k/o better....i have not tried them in the mud yet...but down at the blazer safari i got jack for traction....i think i was the only one pulled out because i my tires were just spinnin...i would go for the BFG or the Pro Comps....my friend has a 70 EB with them on it....i have been with him on the rubicon with it and had no tire problems or traction problems...and he was running open open in the diff's

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Look in the Blazers for sale page!! my 72 needs to go!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have 35x12.50 BFG MT KO. They are nice. I like them. They arent extremely noisy on the street and good for mud. It sucks in clay mud but so do alot of tires. They clean somewhat well too. Alot better choice than AT imo

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D