Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on wheel spacers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eripley, Oct 10, 2003.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

If you want [2] 1.5" spacers purely for cosmetic issues is that stupid? Talk me out of them please.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Everybody that I PERSONALLY know that has them has had nar an issue with them...But everybody seems to know somebody, who knows somebody that has rooled their truck as a result of the spacer breaking...

I plan on getting the two 1.5" spacers but I have other priorities right now such as MPFI for my BBC and D60 with locker and the whole kit and kaboodle....

Chris

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

TonyP made me a set of 1.25" rear spacers. I love them.

Until someone told me to look, I never noticed the track width was different...

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

spacers work great for me, and I dont even know anyone that has had a problem either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

AFA doing them purely for cosmetic reasons... thats sorta ghey... but its ur rig, so charge on! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Skip the spacers get an axle out of a van 3" wider, spacers $85 each (ouch!) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and may not pass safety inspection is some states. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want [2] 1.5" spacers purely for cosmetic issues is that stupid? Talk me out of them please.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of folks on this site that run them.....

I can think of a few "high profile" folks off the top of my head:

1. Stephen Watson
    2. Steve Fox
    3. Me (HAHAHA /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Seriously, a good quality spacer shouldn't be a problem...it DOES correct the narrow wheel track, and I think it LOOKS a lot better too.

The downside is that the good ones DO cost almost as much as a van-width 14BFF (like $200/set), so if you don't already have the axle you'd be money ahead by just looking for the wider van axle in the first place.

I'm doing the worst scenario, buy the spacers AND buy the van axle.....that way I get to spend TWICE as much as I should have. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Live and learn, I guess..... if I could start over knowing what I know now, I could build a K5 a LOT cheaper next time around.

7. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of folks on this site that run them.....

I can think of a few "high profile" folks off the top of my head:

1. Stephen Watson
    2. Steve Fox
    3. Me (HAHAHA /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Seriously, a good quality spacer shouldn't be a problem...it DOES correct the narrow wheel track, and I think it LOOKS a lot better too.

The downside is that the good ones DO cost almost as much as a van-width 14BFF (like $200/set), so if you don't already have the axle you'd be money ahead by just looking for the wider van axle in the first place.

I'm doing the worst scenario, buy the spacers AND buy the van axle.....that way I get to spend TWICE as much as I should have. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Live and learn, I guess..... if I could start over knowing what I know now, I could build a K5 a LOT cheaper next time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...so what kind of axle am I looking for? not the whole rear end but just the axle right?! Is this something I can pick up at a junkcard? What should I look for? Please help. I think this is the better way to go. I just have the standard 12 bolt rear end in my truck now. Is the axle hard to replace or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks!!

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well if you're looking for the "van width" axle....you are looking for a 14 Bolt Full-Floater out of a Chevy G30 van.

It's an 8-Lug wheel pattern, so it's not a trivial swap. Generally, people that swap the 14 Bolt under the rear do an 8-lug conversion to the existing front axle, so that their front wheels will also be 8-lug. At that point you'd have what most people call a 3/4-Ton truck. A nice upgrade from 1/2-ton that it sounds like you have presently....but the costs DO add up.

If you want a purely cosmetic change, I know of a guy who's about to swap in a 14-bolt, and coincendentally HAS a set of rear wheel spacers in a 6-lug pattern. If you can get them used from him, it might be too cost-effective to resist.... Then you can decide if slinging beefier axles under your truck is even necessary for the kind of wheeling you do.

9. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's an 8-Lug wheel pattern, so it's not a trivial swap. Generally, people that swap the 14 Bolt under the rear do an 8-lug conversion to the existing front axle, so that their front wheels will also be 8-lug. At that point you'd have what most people call a 3/4-Ton truck. A nice upgrade from 1/2-ton that it sounds like you have presently....but the costs DO add up.

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I take back my first reply, I did not stop to think that you were running 1/2 ton axles and were not looking to up grade to 3/4-1 ton. Wheel spacers would be you best bet. Even better if you can pick some up used.

10. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'v heard that guys whole do alot of mud like them because the rear tire is the same track and not making a new one, I put mine on for looks, guess some think Im gay now, just dont bring it up when my VX is acting up /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. jekbrown

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I know the guy who makes these up and for a set you pay $125.00...

[​IMG]

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont like them. never had them. ony seen them on ricers(and this has nothing to do with why i dont like them... kind of anyway.) i dont like them because they do put more stress on the lugs. i dont like tire outside of the fender TOO much. and i dont like aluminum in "thin" stock anywhere there is a lot of stress. now, 1.5 inches in not thin. but the care you have to take just to have the spacers of torqueing and re torquing is not what i want. im not a big fan of aluminum rims ethier. i have broken to many rims, so whats to stop me from breaking a spacer.

NOW, steel spacers i wouldnt have as many problems with. but i think thats one of the reasons they sell rims in different offsets.....{hint hint} /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think wheel spacers should be outlawed for a number of reasons. I'm not convinced that they're totally unsafe, but they just make me nervous.

15. jekbrown

look at it this way, if a spacer has a massive failure and u get in a wreck, you can sue the bejebers out of the manufacturer and retire in Tahiti. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

back to reality... high quality spacers are not going to just break on ya... 1.5" thick aluminum is stronger than any part of my wheel and neither is a "weak link". AFA retorquing goes, every time I have my rims off I try to retorq them, but my TW just "click clicks" at me. they dont come loose. others experiences may vary.

j

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I am going to use spacers on my rig....I hate the track width difference....

17. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I've used the 1.5" spacers for about 4 years now, My Blazer is mostly DD so its more for looks and I had my doubts as to weakness or losing a wheel one day, till the time when I accidentaly went off a 4' ledge at 35mph and went airborne and they took that jump. This was 2 years ago, haven't had a problem since re-torqueing or otherwise. I've hit a couple of curbs here and then with a little more confidence and they're still tuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    AFA doing them purely for cosmetic reasons... thats sorta ghey...

[/ QUOTE ] Having a narrower rearend looks "ghey",thats why most people use rear spacers. yer ghey if you think that is stupid to make them the same width for looks.

19. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

TONY! How do I get ahold of this guy! What materials does he make those from? Does he produce various sizes?

I gotta talk to this guy. I'll be running spacers vs. installing new centers in my hummer rims. HOOK A BROTHA UP! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

20. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TONY! How do I get ahold of this guy! What materials does he make those from? Does he produce various sizes?

I gotta talk to this guy. I'll be running spacers vs. installing new centers in my hummer rims. HOOK A BROTHA UP! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah me to $125 is a good deal if that includes shipping. I found a guy that makes aluminum 25mm spacers for our trucks. He said he would sell a set to me for $135.00 with shipping and everything. Email or pm me if you want his email address.