Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions on winchs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Nov 20, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I might be in the market for a winch, but not sure on what one to get. Some ways I want hydro, but if for whatever reason my motor dies, then I'm stuck, twice. Thinking more electric, get some rig or forklift batteries ought to run it OK, and if the motor dies I can still get it out. I don't do hardcore wheeling, so I wouldn't think that I would need to spend $1500 on a winch, but I don't want some POS winch either. Read a couple posts on winches, and I thought they were all able to be submerged?? That will happen for sure, so need something that can handle that. Seems anymore noone has a truck to go wheeling in, so will be going alone, and don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere, or next to the river when another friggin flood comes along. Looking for opinions, want to get at least a 12k.

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

im runnin a warn 9.5ti electric. i haven't submerged it yet, but it has gotten plenty wet. no complaints yet. haven't stalled it yet, and it's fun to look at :haha:

id try harder to find a wheelin buddy. getting stuck alone is one thing. getting lost or hurt is another.

i have wheeled alone before and i must say it is quite boring.

3. b454rat

I have some friends with wheelers, but one is a Sammi and the other is a Jeep, so I might as well go by myself lol. There aren't any techincal trails here, mostly mud and mild trails. Where I will isn't very far out, so I wound't be stranded, but it is boring going stag.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If you're not willing to drop the money for a Warn, I would start looking at a T-max.

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey there,

I got my Warn 16.5ti from Truckaddons.com through Brit. He treated me really well. I paid $1293.00 for my winch to the door. I will be mounting it in a brand new Buckstop Truckware HD Bumper. Keep an eye out for the posts. Yes, a 16.5Ti seems to be overkill to a lot, but just like you, I don't want to get stuck out there in the middle of no where. I have a habit of burying my rigs to the frame in MUD, so the 16.5 will come in handy. If you shop around you'll get a 16.5Ti for about $100-$150 more than the Warn 12K. If not, the 12K will do the ticket.

Manny

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. b454rat

I was looking at that one, and it is saweet!!! Right now it's out of my price range. I should at least get the truck back together, then go from there. Saw some on NTW that where $600 and up, but not sure of the quality.

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Check around for a used winch.That's what I did.Bought an 8274 for $50,put $160 into it,just like new.:D

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

X2 on the 8274, best winch out there in my opinion.