Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions (part II)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jul 29, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Any ideas how much a new camshaft is to install? I'd do it myself but it's too damned hot here and I'm tired of working on my blazer. The #8 cylinder is dead. The motor has 150 lbs on all eight cylinders, good spark, but the #8 plug is all fouled up and full of gunk. I tried to adjust the valves but the rocker wouldn't respond which leads me to believe the cam is dead. The intake had very little travel. (any others ideas would be appreciated) I'm also looking into a target motor, I can get one from Chevrolet for less than a grand. So I'm thinking if its going to cost 500 or more for the camshaft I'm going with the brand new motor.
    Ooooor, should I not worry about the motor or camshaft since its been this way for two years and buy bigger tires? Mine are a little undersized!!!!!! Any comments questions or statements will be appreciated as well.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I would definately fix the engine problem before I got bigger tires. Your engine is already under-powered from the dead cylinder, bigger tires are just gonna rob more power, you might as well have a V6,hehe. The cam swap wouldnt even be close to$500. I would say closer to $300 at the most. With the new cam, dont forget new lifters at the least. I would also get new push rods and rocker arms. But then again this is all just my opinion.
    Good luck with your decision!

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm going to find out monday what its all going to cost. I'm kind of leaning toward the new motor. I've been working insane amounts of O/T so I'm going to round up some friends and swap in a new motor. They have some in stock at the dealer so its just a matter of picking it up and dropping it in. (wheeeeeeeee) I think I'll wait till December for it to cool off a bit!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the new motor. There easy to swap in and are gonna be more dependable than some worked motor.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I would think a cam replacement could get costly. You would need a cam,lifter,valve springs kit,new timing chain(double roller),anti-freeze,oil,and gasket kit.Then if you are letting someone else do it the labor for all that work could get expensive. I bought a used motor then did all this before sticking it in and now I wish I had just bought a crate motor because I have about $1300 into this one and it has 80,000 on the bottom end.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

you needed cam,lifter's and and a new timung set, dont replace the spring if your just doing the cam do them when the heads are rebuilt.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. bart

bart Registered Member

hey, that's a pretty cool purple water pump you have there..
    seriously, how much HP do you think ya have there? (does the purple pump add any HP!?) :-)

bart

8. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

The purple pump was a free hipo unit that really makes the engine run cool. On the hottest days it stays below 175. I didn't have any money left to buy paint.:-)

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Thanks a ton for the input, This motor only has 30,000 on it
    and I hate to put it out to pasture, but it makes no sense to dump cash into it at this point. Maybe I'll get a bug and rip apart myself (at least I won't be under it this time) Thanks again.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You may just have a bad or collapsed lifter. Check that first. A 16.00 dollar lifter and a intake gasket might be all you need. Unless you've been racing the heck out of it I cant see a can going out after 30000 mi.

11. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok guys. Yall are making this sound a lot more expensive than it really is. I am just finishing my new engine build, so I just went through all this. All he wants to do is replace his valvetrain. This is an easy do-it-yourself, weekend project. I just looked in Summit and they sell a Crane complete valvetrain kit for $249. Add another $25 for gaskets and lubricants and there you go.....$275. The engine only has 30,000 miles on it. There is no way it is ready to be replaced.

12. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

nice sunflower flag.
    is that your gang colors?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

13. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    That's just cold blooded[​IMG] don't put down the mans flag[​IMG]

14. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

I only speak from experience. my mother-in-law sells those flags, so we have several (several? ha!) at our house. most with pretty butterflies or crap like that. surprisingly enough, i don't see alot of four-by flags. maybe thats an untapped market....

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>