Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions, Pheonix Gold vs. Arc Audio, vs. JL

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rjfguitar, Jul 31, 2006.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am getting back into the stereo thing again, as I just scored a great high end Panasonic deck off of Ebay for $60!

Now that I have found out how cheap I could possibly build a system, it is getting me interested again since I do miss the HUGE Arc Audio/JL Audio system I have in my K5 (K5 isn't street legal and I don't drive it so I never get to use my system anymore).

On Ebay I have found a dealer of Pheonix Gold, but I can't believe the prices, as they are SO cheap! I thought I had always heard Pheonix was high end stuff which is usually associated with big money.

I have been very biased towards Arc and JL since they kick butt, but am considering using Pheonix because of the price. Are they going off an old reputation and have lately gone cheap like Rockford once did? Or are they really a great bargain?

BTW, this will be with my Dodge Ram quad cab, not the K5. I am going to try and build my own box for it, as aftermarket boxes are WAY overpriced. I basically know how to build a box, as I watched and helped the guy build the box for my K5 a couple years back at my local stereo shop. What I can't remember is the wood type used, any tips and tricks for box building is welcome!

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You must be looking at the seller from from NJ who can't even spell "Phoenix" correctly. I don't think I would buy from them. Another reason not to buy from them is because they are not an authorized internet dealer. From the PG website:
    There are only two dealers listed, and the clown from NJ isn't one of them.

PG still makes top quality stuff. They also make some cheaper entry level stuff to be competetive. The 500 watt Tantrum amp is realy 125 rms x 2. You'll be better off going to a PG dealer to see the good stuff.

My last system used a JL Audio 500.5 amplifier. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=256 It's a 5 channel amp designed to run an entire system. At first I had it running (4) 6.5 coaxials and a 15" sub, then I put the amp in another truck and used it to run (6) 6.5 coaxials and (2) 12" subs. The amp was great! It had a real clean sound to it. It's costly to buy, but you get everything for the entire system in one package - no extra wires, distribution blocks, crossovers, rca's, etc. to buy and then you don't have all the extra stuff to find places for and mount.

I have no experience with ARC.

Here is the 500/5 behind the seat of my C1500 regular cab with the (2) 12's. The one-amp-does-all was nice since space was limited.

cb 020.jpg

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

He doesn't list if he is in NJ or not, but he is "audiosavings."

I think I would go with Arc before JL amps, I've had both and think the Arc amps are a little better. First thing is building a box I guess.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If you have a JL Audio dealer near by, you may want to go there and see if they have anything you can listen to. I liked my JL Audio amp better than any PG amp I've had because the JL never got hot. The PG would get dangerously hot and shut off.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like Phoenix Gold amps. I'm running one of thier cheaper 4 channel units for my Infinity Kappa's and have been very happy with it. I guess they're like Chevrolet, they make the Corvette, but they also made the Chevette.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have been told by the same professional that installed my system, that JL audio, is good, but overrated stuff..

I have always known of Phoenix Gold as mid range quality equipment, not top notch, but not at the bottom either, good starter stuff..

I am really diggin the Memphis stuff now though, since i have heard a few systems with them, and those amps are just awsome.

i know you didn't mention the Memphis stuff, but i thought i'd throw it out there:D

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I also like US Amps and MMATS but those are not cheap !!!!