Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions please - bad fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Some background - The truck started running like [darn] on the way home from trying to get it smogged. I tried to tune it up but it would run for a few minutes then start running real rough then die. It restarted fine for awhile but then one time it just wouldn't start. I tried some stuf but nothing worked, it just turned over and over and didn't even try to start.

The more I thought about it the more I thought that the fuel pump seemed likely. So anyways, today I disconnected the fuel line And had my wife crank the engine while I held the line in a gas can. She went for about 20-30 seconds and no fuel ever came out. I thought that I smelled gas for a brief second, but it could have just been a little bit that was still in the filter. I know that there's gas in the tank since that was my first thought when it started doing this, so I put in 2 gallons. The truck has been sitting for about 4-6 weeks since I last tried to start it. What do you guys think? Sounds pretty likely that the fuel pump is hosed, and I hope that's it since it would be cheap and easy to fix. It's a mechanical pump, btw.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I would say the fuel pump is bad based on your hose disconnect/crank it test. You said you definately have gas in the tank, so you've eliminated the first question. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on your rig?

The last time I purchased an AC Delco mechanical fuel pump it was $10 IIRC. So, trying a new one would be cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

check for spark too,

and look downprimary boredof carb while you turn throttle by hand, see if a jet of fuel sqirts in each of the two barrels, this will tell you if you have fuel in carb or not

if no fuel sqirt then you have stuck needle jet, or bad accelerator pump, or stuck float, or bad fuel pump or pinched line or hose, or clogged filter in carb inlet.

check your oil andmake sure no gas in crankcase, fuel pumpslike to fill engine full of gaswhen they die, in which is very bad for engine and can cause explosion of truck if spark or flame happens inside engine at bad place

i would check oil first before anything

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I replaced the pump without any luck. Same thing. I'm going to look for a hole in the fuel lines tomorrow, since that would cause it to suck air instead of fuel.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, probably just a hole in one of the rubber lines, or abraded through a loose metal line. On the truggy I replaced all my hard lines and rubber lines about 1 year ago.

FWIW, a story along the same lines... When I first did the TBI from diesel conversion, it ran great. First time on the trail, it started running like crap. Checked fuel pressure (without a gauge) and it seemed way to low. So I bought a pump to replace the one in the tank. When I pulled the one in the tank loose, the rubber hose was sorta spongy feeling and when I pinched it, you could see a hole open in the side. So, now I have a new pump in the tank, and the old one for a spare.