Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions Please... Burned motor options...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Aug 26, 2005.

?

What should i do with my engine?? Please read the whole post below before picking.

1. Option 1

33.3%
  2. Option 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Option 3

50.0%
  4. Option 4

16.7%
  1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Might as well make it a poll, I'd like written opinions too, so don't just vote and leave, tell me what you think I should do... Here are the choices, in no particular order... in fact, you'll be suprised what I'm leaning towards right now.

1. Send the thing back to Colorado (paying half the freight cost) to be rebuilt, consigned and resold as one of the builder's motors after which I receive the balance over what it cost the builder for the remaining shipping and rebuild. I'd stand to make about $1000 back on my original investment. - Good for paying down the loan on the 70 or doing some much needed brake conversion on it.

2. Send the thing back to Colorado to be rebuilt, and sent back here to await it's need in another vehicle at some point (or the truck if I find time to do the swap) - Costly in the short run... I'll be forking out $800+ just to have an engine laying around waiting for something to break. My wife has said that I can rebuild the 86, or buy the 70, but not both... but lets not take her word as law just yet. Besides the fact that eventually, I'd like to do a 4bt swap.

3. Pull it out and keep it here until the time when I actually need it. The warranty will run out, and I won't get to rebuild it for $300 plus shipping both ways, but at least I won't have to spend any green right now. - Most cost effective, I'm pulling the stuff myself, and I can rebuild it as I go, when I find cash for a part, I buy it, and install it. No rush on anything except getting the motor out of the frame because we are junking the chassis (minus axles and drivetrain)

4. Cut my losses entirely, junk the whole damn thing, and never look back on these days again. Live in the now, and forget about things gone by. Get me a new truck and be happy with my decision. - This will also be cost effective, but since it's sat in my bosses lockup since it burned, and he didn't charge me storage, I shouldn't really expect anything out of junking the chassis. I also have a sentimental attachment to the truck, but moreso to the motor and transmission, which makes no damn sense, but it's there.

My comments in red are neither justification or antification (is that a word?? **EDIT** After research, I've found that there is no such word as antification, but the word I was looking for was condemnation. At any rate, I'll leave the antification in there for comic relief. **EDIT**) of any particular choice, but rather a reasoning for providing each choice. Don't base your decision on what I wrote in red, but more what you would do in my situation. Realize that I've gone from having an awesome truck with decent power, back to driving my little Nissan Stanza, which I still have immense sentimental value for because it was the first car I bought on my own. My awesome truck is now reduced to a pile of rubble and some scorched steel and iron, slowly but surely being stripped of its parts. In any case, I'm soon getting a 1970 K5 that has been restored, but needs a bit of mechanical work done because the guy wasn't a mech. Whatever choice I make, I will be stripping the motor, tranny, driveline, and suspension parts off before I junk the frame, because the rest of the parts are small enough to fit in a storage shed until I need them, or one of my friends here needs them. I leave the decision making up to my trusted friends on CK5.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Option 4 is NO option!!!

I'd say DONT just scrap it!--Is it BADLY burnt?--like intake melted into a puddle,etc??..We pulled dozens of "burnt" motors out of cars at the junkyard-very few had any internal problems--a few we had to chisel the molten remains of an intake or TBI off so we could bolt on used ones to get them running!..and we were suprised how well they still ran!~.. :crazy:

If you dont really need it,pull it out and SELL it for cash!--you could probably get some decent $$ for it if you show a buyer the sales slip from the rebuilder..even if it needs work it would be worth SOMETHING to someone who is looking for a good rebuildable motor..I would not have it rebuilt and then let it sit!--after seeing what a few months of inactivity has done to my trucks,I think I'm going to sell at least one of them--its stupid to register and insure them,only to let them sit and rust,because I cant afford to put fuel in them!..

OR keep it,and hope no real internal damage was done,and use it if you need it down the road--but unless you have DRY storage,and oil the cylinders,it will likely need honing by the time you decide to use it..good luck whichever way you decide to go...

Scrap here is 75 bucks a ton--the chassis might bring 150 in cash at the scrapyard...
    :crazy:

3. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

I'd rather have a 70 than an 86

Full convertible top ya know.

Why not get the engine rebuilt under waranty, put it into the 1970. Then sit on the engine out of the 70, or sell it?

I swapped my old block to a local circle track guy for two seasons advertising on the race car.

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

That was another option, but I didn't want to bring it up due to the sheer cost of swapping the motors... It would rock the house though if I could convince a certain someone to go with it.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

How burnt is it?

If you posted this before, sorry....